Sunday, January 5, 2014

I've been thinking a lot lately....

...about my grandmother, Nana Courtney. I guess it is normal, around the holidays, to think of those family members who are no longer with us. And that is probably why I've been thinking about her a lot. I think a lot has to do with a Christmas ornament our Aunt Mary gave us with nana's picture on it....

My Nana C and I got along great when I was a kid--I daresay I inherited some of her quick wit, and a DOUBLE dare say I have inherited her love of sarcasm. And, although I will draw deep criticism from 'the usual suspects,' I am confident I have inherited Nana's work ethic as well--she was one of the hardest working people I have ever known (she didnt retire til she was 80), and I am always puttering around, looking for work and projects, etc.

But I started this post with the word 'lately' because I think, lately, that we would have REALLY hit it off--but she left us before this was able to happen. I feel as though I am a lot like my grandmother in other ways, and I only realized these 'ways' after she died. We are/were both HUGE lovers of mysteries of all types; Amanda and I read mystery after mystery, and we enjoy the PBS shows Nana used to watch like Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. My nana always loved 'radio' and I find myself listening to more radio (not MUSIC, but NPR...arts and culture stuff, etc) than watching television. My grandmother always watched (and was always teased for watching) AreYouBeingServed on PBS (in addition to other 'Britcoms' as they are called) and this show is, without a doubt (and has been for a few years now) my favorite television show.

I bet my grandmother would just be fascinated with the special place that Maine "is." I mean, I doubt she would go snowmobiling with me...haha...but I am sure she would be interested in reading/hearing about all the stuff I am into regarding Maine history and culture: Logging, river driving, snowshoeing, paddling, etc. She really seemed to appreciate the kinds of art and culture that I now find myself into--I think she'd get a kick out of the way Amanda and I strive to bring our kids into this sort of 'way' as well.

So that's all. Just a little of what I've been thinking about lately. My biggest regret about having no grandparents left is that my kids dont get to see what "I" saw and experienced with them. I find myself, lately, talking about Nana Courtney and Papa Goldsmith to Callum--I try to share funny stories about things we did at Christmas, or food we ate on Saturdays, or whatever. But something gets 'lost in translation,' I feel. But mostly, I think it is just the selfish parent in me, who wants to show my kids off to family members who are no longer with us.

So that's that. It continues to be cold, although today reached 16 or so, so we took the kids sledding at Colby College...but it has been so cold that the snow was too FLUFFY to really pack down and make fast sledding. Yesterday I did a little bit of riding on the snowmobile, and had a (snowy) blast. More freezing rain tonight or whatever.....

SOME PICS....

This was taken at about 7AM on New Year's Day. It got even colder a couple days later....


By 7:04 on that same day, while Amanda slept soundly (she lets me sleep in too, by the way...haha), Callum and Maira had opened and set up Monopoly--the same game Sally and I were GOING to play on New Year's Eve....before our ice dam leaks started #alas.....Callum legitimately wanted to know how to play Monopoly...and I taught him the rudiments...he SEEMED to get it...we'll try again later....


Maira LOVES the shirt Auntie KK and Uncle Anthony got her for Christmas....she wanted this on the blog....

....and Callum REALLY wanted this one of me on the blog...he took this New year's day, after telling me to 'do something funny daddy.' So yeah.


No comments: