Thursday, January 2, 2014

I've never seen cold like this...

Seriously. And I love it. I do. Bring on the cold and bring on the snow. This is a great winter thus far, and it is only the beginning of January! I (and Callum, Maira, and Sally) have plans to snowmobile, sled, and snowshoe all over the place. I need to get into the woods!!

Okay. I will admit. The cold is tough. I LOVE winter, but it is tough. I try to maintain my running schedule outside (I will NEVER run on a treadmill or use one of those elliptical things). But it is very tough, dangerous, slippery, and, to be blunt, it sucks the life out of you. I find myself tired all the time, and, furthermore, I just cant seem to eat enough...I am always hungry! I wonder if you burn extra calories in the cold just trying to keep your body warm (?) Obviously, I dont know the answer, because I am a liberal arts graduate....

I wear these special spiky things on my sneakers, but they only do so much. But I have a blast, and I get A LOT of very weird looks from people who cant believe anyone is dumb enough to be outside....on purpose...

Here I am, post run, on NewYear's eve... -6 after the run             





We used the money we made selling the ATV to buy the snowmobile.....and, much to my everlasting shame, we bought a snowblower. Oh well. It will make things easier I guess, and now I will have more time to drink. llz. Below, Sally and the kids try out the new snowblower, moments after the great people at Teague's, in Fairfield, delivered it to us!


On New Year's Eve, the Goldsmiths hung out, ate snacks, drank beer (ok...that was just me), played the game OPERATION, and, mostly, DID PUZZLES!!! The kids (and mommy) absolutely LOVE puzzles....and, they are brilliant at them. A puzzle, for me, is trying to figure out how to work a gas pump at Sunoco....so Callum and Maira definitely inherited the puzzle gene from their very smart mom. Maira focused on the LITTLE MERMAID puzzle Nannie and Upbob got her, and Callum focused on his new puzzle, from Papa, with tons of Disney stuff like CARS and TOY STORY, etc. The alacrity with which Callum orchestrates his puzzles amazes me....and I say this not as his biased dad, but as a bystander watching him. He really is extraordinary. #NavalAcademyskills


Happy New Year! Callum took this photo of us....


New Year's Day, the dumbest day of the year, was spent roof raking, throwing rock salt 'pucks' onto ice dams on the roof, (talk about a buzz kill: we started having ice dam leaks in our front living room, by the door, on NY Eve...that sucked...and it probably isnt over......) and staying THE HECK inside....we watched HOME ALONE, did more puzzles, played more OPERATION, and just hung out and tried to stay warm!!

No comments: