Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Holy Week

First of all, today is April 15 and we woke up to about three inches of snow! Erskine, the 'high school' in China, had a two hour delay. In mid April! Crazy.

The roads were actually terrible today....very icy.

I was actually planning on writing today that ALL of our snow was finally gone....but this morning's snow added to our pile...so we still are not snow free...

Also, Maira has the entire DO YOU WANT TO BUILD A SNOWMAN song from Frozen memorized. Verbatim.

During Holy Week the Goldsmiths are very involved in the processes and traditions and goings-on of life at church. Tomorrow, for Maundy Thursday, little Callum has been asked by Pastor to be the one who gets his feet washed in the middle of the service. Callum, who is exceptionally shy, is being a good sport by doing this, and he is actually pretty excited to sit in the aisle and be Pastor's 'helper.' The choir is VERY busy during Holy Week for the Maundy Thurdsay, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday services....there are many new hymns I have been learning. All of which are beautiful, especially when played by Rick on our gorgeous organ.

I am singing a solo tomorrow evening at the service. Then, on Good Friday, Amanda is singing a solo. In addition, I will be up on the altar with Pastor on Good Friday to assist him with all the Bible readings commemorating the "Passion" of Christ--his betrayal...his arrest...his torture and execution...etc. I have been helping out with this for about the last four years or so and, I have to admit, even though I know what is coming up in these readings, I still have a tough time verbalizing all these things; I find myself getting a bit choked up sometimes. Weird. It is an especially powerful service because after each of the 7 readings or so a portion of the lights in the sanctuary are extinguished, rendering the church in total darkness as the final reading--the one where Christ says 'It is finished' and dies--is read.

Holy Week is my favorite time of the church year--I love the solemnity of it. Although I have to admit I do not enjoy the Easter Sunday church service. It has nothing to do with anything religious, liturgical, etc....I just hate all the spring apparel because I hate spring....haha

No comments: