Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I'm old.

You know how I know this?

Tonight I was stacking some wood in the garage after the kids were in bed. I was listening to NPR's FRESH AIR, and I listened to this AMAZING essay read by a "TV in culture" professor from Ryder College talking about "tv purists" and how they refuse to get rid of their DVDs in way of streaming or 'clouding' their episodes and movies. DVDs are getting to be obsolete now? Why?? His argument, although not the one "I" would use (and I guess that, by his definition, I am a 'tv purist') was that it is great to be able to PHYSICALLY own your DVD collection. I guess I buy that. No pun intended. Screw the cloud and streaming--I dont need the whole world/government to spy on me while I watch my sweet Jessica Fletcher solving the whodunits of Cabot Cove. Or the latest crazy character on whom Mr Humphries waits in AreYouBeingServed. Yeah guy, I OWN my DVDs.

But I feel old because two "last bastions" of what he called "classic TV" finally came out on DVD, after being remastered, acquiring music rights, etc: TheWonderYears and PeeWee's Playhouse. Those are CLASSICS now?? Damn. Did you know that TheWonderYears went off the air over 20 years ago. My goodness. I will go and buy this collection post haste. A STELLAR show on the pulse of a generation, yet completely adaptable to today's youth/family/coming of age issues in 2014. And PeeWee's Playhouse?? Tomorrow I will quiz my kids on who knows this show. And perhaps I will show a clip. Kids need to know about Chairy.

The other reason I feel old is because Jay brought to my attention (and he is right) that the Goldsmiths only go to THREE (and three ONLY) restaurants. Period. Maineley Brews. Governor's. Cancun. My friends, this is what old people do. My grandmother went to exclusively Matt Garrett's and The Pewter Pot. She would not be swayed. Anne and Bob are Bertucci's hipsters. My dad has been going to Maui for chinese food since the Carter administration. When you get old, you go to the same place to eat. Damn.

Pictures for youse.

Dana had had his boat in the driveway for a few days, as he was winterizing it and getting it ready for storage. Callum and Maira were only too happy to help. And you can see Maira, of course, playing with her best four legged friend.....


Maira, Amanda, and I (Callum stayed with MeeMee and Grampy) went on a nice paddle last Saturday and took in some peak colors....the pictures dont do it justice....


Callum and I took a little walk on the trail in back of Marcoux's house across the street. These are the trails on which we snowmobile in the winter...the connect to the PAL (youth league) fields and lots of other trails on which to snowshoe and snomobile, etc....Callum wanted to walk over to the fields to play some soccer. It is really neat to be only a five minute walk from acre upon acre of field....

....lots of pretty marshes and ponds off this trail....TONS of ducks hanging out there...dont know if you can see them all if you blow this pic up.... StarDog, Tim's roommate, loves swimming here....

 ....and the fields! Soccer time! It won't be long til we are spinning our track around here in resplendent snow!


No comments: