Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Happy first night of Hannukah everyone....I remember, as a kid, having my dad take my sister and I to the Jewish bookstore (I think it was in Randolph) and getting storybooks that told the stories of the Jewish tradition...we always grew up honoring those holidays. And now Amanda and I try to do the same for the kids; tonight I had a doctor's appointment and we had some other stuff going on, but tomorrow and for the next several days we will light our Menorah. 

Here is Maira getting sung to by the Governor's waitstaff.....wait, I think I already put this picture on the blog. Oh well....




What are your favorite Christmas traditions as far as music and books go? I always try to read A CHRISTMAS CAROL each year...I have a beautifully illustrated edition I got one year for Christmas. I would like to start reading THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER each year. Remember that book? Usually we go see THE NUTCRACKER each year. I always read/teach O. Henry's short story THE GIFT OF THE MAGI if I happen to be teaching a freshmen section that year...and this year I am. Again, this year, I will play Santa Claus at our church's Advent family night. Dont tell the kids.

MOVIES that have to be watched each year: White Christmas, Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, A Christmas Carol, Elf, and, now that we own it, Santa Claus: The Movie. Feel free to leave a comment with your favorites as far as movies and songs and books go...

Speaking of books, the kids read SILLY SALLY with Nannie while listening to Brenda Lee Christmas album...

And ALL ABOARD for the Polar Express! Can you see the 'engine' Callum put together on his little table? And Sally and Grampy get ready for a ride while Callum draws up personalized tickets for the ride. The kid has some kind of imagination, I'll tell ya that....


Santa Claus was about a two hour wait on Sunday, ,so we just perused the downtown of Waterville's KRINGLEVILLE where all the storefronts, etc were decorated for Christmas. The kids always love looking at the village that is set up in the storefront by the Maine Made Shop.


In other news, Callum came home from school fifty shades of excited today, since, today, these guys brought two REAL, LIVE REINDEER to school and the kids went out to the playground to meet them and pet them, etc. I am still trying to get the whole story out of the kid....you know what it is like to try to information out of a six year old...haha

1 comment:

Kisses said...

Jared, the Brenda Lee album is a nice touch. Lou Wrals would be a great addition. Trav Blaster endorsed, too!