Monday, April 27, 2015

So, after careful consideration (mostly thought about while on long runs by myself) I have narrowed down my list of the three best rock and roll guitarists. Now, keep in mind, not only am I only 36 years old, but I am also a total freakin idiot, who, in many ways is sheltered from the world of music. But I do my best. And I should also note that these are not my favorite 'bands,' necessarily...but, rather, they are guitarists who, in my opinion, to the best job of what I feel truly qualifies as a real rock and roll guitarist.

Honorable mention on the list were Eddie VanHalen, Joe Perry, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, and Jerry Cantrell (of Alice in Chains)

But here are the three I have chosen:

#3 John Frusciante-Red Hot Chili Peppers: I havent seen anyone have more FUN playing the guitar, and I feel like rock and roll just entails having FUN. John is a humble guitarist, in my opinion, meaning that he has no problem realllllly dialing it back to let bassist Flea, etc have their moments and their resonance and their volume. But it is like he knows exactly WHEN to come in, and WHEN to get loud and when to really do the right thing. In my opinion, John Frusciante has incredible awareness and timing. Plus, his guitarmanship is really beautiful. It might sound just as at home on a jazz album as it does on a RHCP album. Very versatile.

#2 Mike Mccready- Pearl Jam. It was hard not to put him at number one. Sure, he is not a household name (neither is Frusciante) but I love his humility and confidence and, much like Frusciante, I love his timing and awareness. I have always thought of Mccready as a 'minimalist' when it comes to musicianship...and I say that with as much compliment as possible. His solos blow me to shreds--sure they aren't these galactic examples of speed and dexterity like Mark Knopfler or Eddie VanHalen...I get that--but, in such a simple and confined space, he does some amazing and beautiful things. I like to think of his work as all fitting on a traditional white painting canvas (whereas Eddie Van Halen's might need to fit in a whole MUSEUM)...and, what I love about Mccready is how he uses that ENTIRE canvas; he stretches his sound and his resonance to the edges. Go listen to the solo for WISHLIST or the ones in STATE OF LOVE AND TRUST. Beautifully simple. Yet not. You have to see...

#1 Slash. Yup. There it is. Dont get me wrong--I love GnR, but they are by no means my 'favorite band.' But the guy, in my opinion, is the most versatile rock and roll guitarist out there, and for that reason he makes number one on this list that no one in their right mind is even reading :/ I really dont know what else to say except that I feel like he truly can do it all--he can go hard or soft. He is a leader. He runs the stage/studio, which is ironic cuz he just stands in one place wearing a silly hat. Has anyone ever seen his eyes? I love Slash for the way in which he is a 'glam rocker' but you can hear in his music influences of so many other great artists. When I listen to Slash, I hear shades of Clapton, Hendrix, and Neil Young: What an eclectic mix. He is equally as authoritative on the acoustic as he is on the electric. I feel like he is an influence to so many other guitarists.

...Hanging out over Pete Hallen's with Andy and all the girls...playing some football....before Andy put Hannah on the DL for the season :/




My sister used to make all these collages of old pictures...down at my mom's last weekend, I got to looking at them. Here is a clip-pic of me very early on in my chemotherapy treatment. It must have been one of my first ones, since I still had all my hair....

And in that same collage, me getting on the bus on my first day of school.....


If you ever told me on one of those snowy days at New England Medical Ctr in 1996--or at a bus going to Center School in 1985--that I would have ever have such beautiful children like this, I would have thought you were crazy.....


1 comment:

Ortiz said...

What about Carlos Santana and Stevie Ray Vaugh?