Wednesday, April 8, 2015

You know how some folks call them the "dog days" of summer? Well, in the world of teaching, I call these the "lobster body" days--I use this term to refer to those days at the end of March and beginning of April where spring hasnt sprung, kids haven't had a break in a while, graduation is looming like a greasy porkchop being hung over a pack of hungry wolves, and drama, laziness, and apathy run rampant. In turn, like eating a lobster body, you have to search as hard as hell for a good quality morsel of meat...but, when you do find one, as every lobster aficionado knows, the body meat is the sweetest and most flavorful. Such is the way with teaching; this time of year, you have to search hard for those glorious moments--they are few and far between--but they are glorious when you do find them. I have had three in the past couple of weeks

1. I nominated one of my girls for student of the month-- I had to write up a page nomination extolling her virtues, etc, and submit it along with the other student of the month nominations. Then the faculty vote on all the nominations. This morning, Brooke, my student, won. She is a tremendous individual who might not be the 'smartest' and have the highest grade, but she does everything with enthusiasm. She loves to learn. Even as I type this, I am smiling. A delightful young lady who, also this morning, was named to the all NATIONAL team for high school field hockey. She will attend St Anselm's next year--where my sister went--and she will play field hockey for them. She is a humble, unassuming, genuinely compassionate and beautiful person. Well deserving. 

2. I had a student in my freshmen class stay after the other day linger around my desk for a minute or so. I asked her what was up, and she told me she just wanted to thank me for two things. First off, she wanted to thank me that I have the class write papers, because she hasn't had many English teachers assign writing (writing is tough to correct and a lot of teachers opt out of this, unfortunately). Second, she wanted to thank me for writing comments on her papers and giving her feedback. She said that I am one of the only teachers she has ever had who gives her feedback on her papers--whether they are good or bad. She said most teachers just arbitrarily slap a grade on the paper without telling her why. I loved what she told me. I love when students give US feedback. I appreciate her more than she knows

3. A student I had who graduated probably four or five years ago named Taylor has been capturing my interest lately. In high school, I had a great relationship with her--she did well for me, and we got along. But, I daresay I was one of the only ones who felt this way about her. She was a...how can I put this....'rebellious' young lady who was in and out of trouble. She didnt take school very seriously. You know the type. Anyway, since graduating, she has gone on to school, found her passion for nursing (particularly in nursing homes with old people), she has quit cigarettes, and just generally gotten her crap together! I wrote her a nice FB message the other day telling her how proud I am of her, and how I love seeing how she has developed since leaving Winslow. That kind of growth is awesome to see! Some current students told me she was so happy at what I wrote that she posted my comment on Instagram (whatever the heck THAT is) and they loved it. Also, here is the response she wrote me. This time of year, one has to hang on to stuff like this!! 
:
Thanks G, I think I'm doing quite well it took me a little longer than most I think to grow up and find my passion I'm going back to school for nursing now is my hopes as long as I can pass the tests upon entry but really loving my job at Mercy hospital what a wonderful place to work! And I've taken to photography lately mostly of my wildcats lol I really appreciate it though it's nice hearing things like that especially from a teacher I was very fond of I wasn't always the best student I'm glad you were able to see beyond that not everyone saw me as having much potential



Maira and Callum dye some Easter eggs last Saturday before 
Easter.....




Hanging out at Maineley Brews for Andy's birthday last weekend....Andy is in the middle and Derek is next to him. Pete and Jon had not yet arrived, and I had to leave shortly after to go to Good Friday service...


Amanda and her girlfriends at Maineleys that night...Alicia, Lisa, Heather, and Beth...







No comments: