Saturday, April 25, 2015

So, today I was thinking about tables

I am reading this book right now (a really awful novel b Ken Follet...awful story...awful dialogue...awful writing...yada yada...). It sucks. But one part that made me slow down a bit was a scene where a dad was having all his grown children back for Christmas--the wife/mom had recently died, and it was the first Christmas as a family without the mom there. There was a pretty nice, but short, description about the table in the kitchen and how it was made of 'scrubbed pine' and everyone gathered around it even though it wasnt big enough. People drank wine and tea and read. And then, just like that, the scene was over and it was back to really awful writing (For example: a husband finds out his wife has slept with her brother in law and his reaction was "oh my goodness, I didnt think you would do that." Pretty unnatural stuff).

So I got to thinking about tables and, in particular, our table. I get annoyed at our table and the level of nicks and scratches it has on the top, legs, and sides. The cats have scratched it. The kids have crashed their chairs into the legs. Things happen, ya know? But then it hit me today at how much I love our table, despite all these things. For, these things all exist because of the people we have had around our table. In many ways, our table is the heart of our home--right off the kitchen, next to the wood stove, eAmanda has baked some amazing desserts that have been eaten around the table. I have smoked a ton of hams and chickens and friends and families have gathered around it. When had our first meal in our home, GreatMeeMee (amanda's grandma) said Grace around the table and then burst into tears--it was emotional. I gave Callum his first bath on this table, on the night he came home from the hospital. Maira hides under the table when she wants to be bad. It is just a beautiful, beautiful table and I dont even care anymore what cosmetic things happen to it.....

7:08 this morning. This kid was hard at work on his Lego Arctic Station. At the table. I drank Wicked Joe Big House coffee out of my 'vacation mug' and it was amazing. (also, what is that brown blur to the left of CS?? Aliens?? Ghosts??/)


.....and then the girls joined us.....Maira had one of her 16 pieces of toast today.....


Other tables are great too....like the one at Cancun Restaurant...when we are with great friends...last night the Huesers came over for a bit and then we made our way out to dinner. (Note to self: blog sometime about "Tom and Callum's Crazy Bathroom Dance Party." Or, don't). HAHA

And I just love this picture because there are so few of them in existence. Most of you know of what I speak. I wish there were more, and I know that sometime there will be. (This table, by the way, brought to you courtesy of The Flatlanda Diner in Fairfield...best breakfast around).


I am even writing this blog from our table....

3 comments:

MeeMee said...

Great blog! It's so true. Your table is the heart of your home - we've spent so much time there. Remember all our political arguments? I miss that -well sometimes!

Sally Piles said...

OH yeah, I LOVE all the political arguments that you guys have... You always end up in tears, Mee Mee!

Jared - how could you forget the table at the Flatlanda? :)

Size Police said...

Smedium blue tshirt