Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Forks

Hi, Amanda here. Last Thursday Gramps, Grammie, Jared and I took Callum for his first trip up to The Forks which is a great town about 1 hour from our house. We got up there around 1 pm after having a relaxing morning standing around our kitchen island eating McDonald's breakfast sandwiches. Yum.

For lunch we stopped into Northern Outdoors which is an 'outdoor adventure resort'. They do whitewater rafting trips, tubing, fishing and hunting trips, and also snowmobiling and snowshoeing in the winter. You can stay in the campground or in one of their rustic cabins and after a day of fun you can relax in their outdoor pool or hot tub. I would like to stay there sometime - preferably in the winter so we can do some snowshoeing.

Anyway, they also have a brewpub and restaurant with great food and good beer (according to Gramps and Jared). Their Kennebec River Loggerhead Lager is one of Jared's favorites, if not his #1 pick.
We had a great lunch and even Callum got to sample some of their beer. Just joking.
After lunch we headed up the road to Moxie Falls. There is about a 1 mile walk into the falls, but it's well worth it. Callum did great riding in his Baby Bjorn carrier and I did my best to ward off the mosquitoes and deer flies. Luckily they didn't seem interested in him, but I got pretty much eaten alive. I think we all did. This is me, Jared and Grammie making our way to the falls.


And here is Moxie Falls! We saw a lot of people swimming in some of the pools both above and below the falls.


It was a great day, followed by burritos at our house after we got home. Thanks, Gramps, for remembering your camera and taking all the pictures. Jared and I are hoping to take Kranthony here (and maybe do some tubing!) when they come up next week.

Well, Jared is at the movies tonight with his friend Eric so I'm going to make the most of it and paint my nails, read a book and go to bed early. Goodnight!

6 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Hooray for girlie nights! Sometimes I actually enjoy it when Chris works an overnight shift - I can do all of the things that I don't normally have time to do, like paint my nails, read a good book, or watch a chick-flick. Hope you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I love your blogs, they don't cause any trouble.

Anonymous said...

I love girlie nights. I wish Bob would go out more often!!!!! Hope you enjoyed your evening

Anonymous said...

Amanda how in the world are you going to paint your nails, read & go to bed early with Callum wanting to eat so much? Just wondering........

Anyway hope you had a nice evening. I remember when we visited grandmom and grandpop that one summer and we all went to Moxie Falls. I loved it and would love to get back there again sometime. I'm glad you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

My initials are carved into the first overlook deck at Moxie Falls. I have a very sorted history in the West Forks...I'll tell you about it sometime.

Anonymous said...

Ok A. I do not do bugs so we'll need some bug spray for our tubing adventure.

B. With all the blog wars going on I'm surpised someone didn't comment on Callum drinking and report Jared to DSS.

C. Can we use the baby bjorno and have Callum float down the river with us?