Monday, July 21, 2008

Moving On

Smile . . . .
Wow.



Today was a troubling day in blogville. I have chosen to delete the previous post all together, because it was starting to truly sadden me as well, and I want to be able to forget all about it. I admit that sometimes I publish blogs, like the one about Obama, just to push a few buttons and procure comments . . .and maybe start a little jib-jabbing and such. But today went too far--it became a "pecking party" against certain individuals--individuals for whom I care deeply--and I can't have that. The last thing I want to do on this blog is upset people "for real." And that was starting to happen. And I apologize for whatever part I played in this fiasco. Things just went too far, and, to be honest, I feel sick about it.


Obviously, "DH," my father Henry, a proud Jew, is the greatest man I know, and he has taught me innumerable lessons on how to be a man. He is kind, compassionate, and a "gentle" giant (well, except when we wrestle) who would never deliberately hurt anyone's feelings or be racist. I know from experience of our diverse family and friend network of Jewish, Irish, African American, Portuguese, and Native American descent. I also know of several homosexual family members and friends--all of whom are loved deeply by my father. My father is not a racist man. I also know that there is no way my dad would be offended my MET's reference to calling him "Hitler," since my father's greatest gift is his ability to laugh (most at himself and my shortcomings, but that's besides the point). So, despite what comments may have implied, MET shouldnt worry.


MET, Mike Thurston, is an esteemed colleague of mine--and a close friend. He is a brilliant thinker, a model teacher, and a fervent family man whom I consider to be a mentor. He is to be respected for taking a stand on issues he holds dear. Though our political spectrums may differ (perhaps sometimes you can tell!) I still respect him GREATLY. Whether I agree or disagree with Mike is inconsequential; the fact remains that I hate seeing a friend picked on and "pecked" in the manner in which he was today--whether comments were joking or not. I know Mike to be a kindhearted, caring, sensitive friend, and I would hate for anyone reading the deleted blog to think otherwise about him. He was even kind enough to babysit me in Washington DC.


And then, somehow, my dear friend Michelle Clark became entangled in this quagmire as well, having her words, thoughts, and quotes "spun"(in a FOX news fashion . . .just had to get that in!) by a "Ryan Miller." I have no idea who or what a Ryan Miller is, but I do know that Michelle Clark is an exemplary teacher, so respected by her students that they visit her and keep in touch with her LONG after they graduate. Furthermore, I know she cares very much for her friend Mike Thurston, and to see the upsetting remarks made between friends was further proof that I had to let this blog go.


If one thing is to be learned from today's occurrences, it is that we cannot expect to assume anything about anyone's background, morals, race, sex, underwear size, etc. Furthermore, and this is my biggest gripe with email and blog comments, is that, given the "character-set" nature of the words typed, true tone, emotion, and feeling of the speaker cannot be fully realized by the recipient. Perhaps Dad's comments, if spoken, carried an innocuous tone . . .or Mikes . . .or anonymous, or anyone's--would things be different? I hate that you can never tell exactly "how" people mean things. My solution is to sing everything. Or try to.


As I hear my 5 week old little boy crying upstairs, because he still hasn't fallen asleep, I realize there are so many more important things in life . . . .


Let's move on . . . .


Dad, Mike, Michelle: you are all very important to me, and I apologize for the transpirings of the day.








12 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Thank you, Jared, for your kind, sincere, and gentle words. We love you...and Amanda...and Callum...and Thomas P. :) DH - Jared has always told me that you are THE man. You've raised a great son.

See you guys soon!

P.S. What a cute baby!

Michelle Garner said...

P.S. There's no need to apologize - feel honored that you have so many loyal readers and that this event generated so many responses. "It's all good."

Anonymous said...

Is Michelle still coming for dinner?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed the whole thing. I was too busy at work to check in on the blog. I love, love, love the picture of Callum. How cute is he. I think he looks like Aunt Martha!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Callum looks just like Jon when he was a baby but only with Ortiz & Jared's lips.

He is a cuttie pie! I can't wait to meet him in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Jared,

What are Amanda and you feeding Callum? He is growing like Brandon and Emma much to fast. I think to older I get, the faster time flies by. I told Emma she was not allowed to turn five years old because she was growing up to fast, but she didn't listen. Enjoy every minute you can with Callum because he will grow up before you know it.
I want to let you know that Emma is charging admission to use the new pool slide Aunt June just got. She also swims like a fish and has a surprise for you when you use the pool. You might want to bring a pair of googles.
The duck has not returned, but the moles have.
See you guys soon.
Love,
Uncle Bob

Anonymous said...

You guys rock!

Anonymous said...

Callum Bum looks to grown up in the picture.......

Anonymous said...

OH MY STARS, who is that child,

HE HAS GROWN AND CHANGED SO MUCH.....

Aunty Carol said...

OMG Callum looks like a older baby and not a newborn any more. He is sooooo beautiful. I can't wait to see him.

Anonymous said...

I want to transcript from the original blog

Anonymous said...

Jared, thank you for the kind words. Having a dad and mom like you and Amanda, Callum has no chose but to grow up to be an amazing person. Hello to everybody, it was all Jared's fault, we have to blame someone.