Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Solon Trip Part 2

I absolutely love this canoe trip! Last year, Amanda, Jen, Dave, and I took canoes and kayaks down a majestic stretch of the Kennebec River from Embden down to Anson. This year, it was sort of like an English faculty trip, as I, Dave, Michelle Clark, and Rach Robbins made the paddle. It takes a little logistical planning to do this trip, since you need two vehicles (one to leave at the "landing site" and one to drop off to launch your canoe in Embden). The current of the Kennebec is so strong that you couldnt possibly paddle back up--you'd need a motor. However, the current is half the fun, as you travel through some nice light rips over crystal clear (and actually pretty shallow) water--you really dont even have to paddle that much; you basically just have to steer through rocks, branches, rips, etc. The lack of a need to paddle so much left more time to hold frosty wheat beverages and such, as seen below, where Dave and I enjoy a refreshing drink on a pretty hot day. Notice how I am drinking an IPA made by "Kennebec River Brewing Company?" How fitting. As a side note, we are stopped on some rocks so the girls can check out some pretty neat Indian petroglyphs (sp) carved into some of the river bank--deer, warriors, spears, and such.
I love this picture (Michelle took all the pictures by the way, since I forgot my camera). This is what we got to look at for a few hours or so--nothing but beautiful water, trees, and no Wal-Marts or Morning Sentinel Headlines.

We stopped at one of the small islands, left the canoes, and took a swim. Why have I put this picture on my blog? Well, basically, just so my idiot friends can make a "demotivational poster" out of it and email it to me, put it on a t-shirt, etc. Also, maybe it will get people to leave some comments . . .we need a blogtroversy. . . .he he
And here are Michelle and Rachel after a very satisfying . . .um . . .paddle (that's what she said) I can't wait to do this trip again! MET, I thought of you yesterday . . .you would love this trip . . .if you are willing to make the ride up here and use your car for one of the "logistics vehicles." I've a got a perfect canoe . . .(you mentioned needing to get into the woods!)

4 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

What a great trip! I hope we can all get together and do it again...check out my blog for more funny photos of Jared!

I'll call you tomorrow, Amanda! I have news! :)

Hi Callum and Thomas P.!

Anonymous said...

I would rather see more photos of Callum.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time. It looks like you all had a really good time. There is nothing like being outside in the fresh air. I heard Amanda and Callum had a good day also shopping with Grammy. Three more weeks to go until Camp Dovey's

Anonymous said...

You seem to have been missing one of the more buoyant members of your department.