Sunday, November 9, 2008

Callum makes breakfast....

I'm half way through my extra long weekend. This morning, Amanda and Callum rode in the Volvo and I drove the truck so I could return it to Springpond for all of George's "chores." The plan was to go over, drop the truck off, have breakfast, and then maybe stack some wood or something. But we had no IDEA Callum would be the one helping his Grampy with breakfast today....

First, he selected the frozen hash browns he wanted to panfry. He judged on the criteria of crispness, color, and tastability.....Then he was off to inspect Grampy's sausage gravy, giving it a stir or two before adding a little more water and pepper. If you blow this picture up, you can really get a sense of a)his intense concentration and b)his immense cheeks. After ten minutes or so, he was done with sausage gravy and ready to move on to scrambling eggs.....Alas, he finished! Callum is at the stage where he wants to put everything in his mouth, and when he tried to put the big whisk up to his lips, we got concerned. So, we found a little "Callum whisk." And that suited him just fine! We think he's going to be a great eater; he really enjoys watching us eat, and he LOVES playing with wooden spoons, his spoons, and whatever other utensils he can get his hands on. In addition to putting everything in his mouth, he is starting to transfer some of those hard "kicks" that he does into "push-offs" when he stands on your chest or lap and tries to push off into the air. Nannie can't wait to get him his little "jump-a-roo" for this very purpose, and perhaps mommy and daddy should put together his little bear-walker!

Yesternight was Chris's bachelor party, and it was great, low-key evening of steak, beer, cards, and hazing. The paintball activity got postponed (due to rain and Mike's broken collarbone). But we still headed into Disgusta for Longhorn Steakhouse. After that hazing...I mean dinner...we played poker over Mike's house. I used to play cards ALL THE TIME with my dad; I remember playing on Saturday afternoons around the kitchen table in his house. We played five-card stud, Gin, etc. But, for as much as I love cards, I never actually "gambled" with poker. But I did last night, and Mike, Pete, and Big-Pete were really cool about teaching me the ropes. I now know what it means to "check," "call," "blind". . . . .and "lose."

Tomorrow its just me and my boy. What, oh what, should we do all day???






4 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Those pictures of Callum are absolutely adorable - he will love to look back on those when he gets older. I have some great photos of me and my grandmother baking cookies and playing the piano together...clearly, Callum's going to be both a musician and a cook!

Anonymous said...

this is funny...now that there is nothing hurtful or political you can make out of this blog, no one writes anything for comments. interesting, huh?

Anonymous said...

what do you mean you think he will be a great eater? hasn't he eaten anything yet?

Anonymous said...

actually, believe it or not frenette, he hasnt eaten things like steak, chicken, seafood, and pasta. Can you believe it? I mean, at 4 months old, you'd think he would have eaten all this stuff....

right now he's strictly a breast man....