Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mom & Pops







Ahhh....what a week....we had Monday and Tuesday off, but the trade off is that now today (Wednesday) and tomorrow we have to stay at school until almost 8pm for parent teacher conferences. Then, on Friday, Amanda and I are leaving almost RIGHT after school to head over to Rangeley for Michelle and Chris's wedding. I debuted the song to Amanda last night (up til then, only Callum had heard it...he gave it "5 kicks"). She said she loved it...I am really nervous; its a lot of pressure to write someone a wedding song! But a challenge (and an honor) I am flattered to undertake.....






Amanda and I, ultimately, want to live in more of a country setting; we love our house, but we dont really have a yard. I think the thing that attracted both of us to Maine was that whole "country" feel...that ruralism and beauty...and the old fashioned way of conducting business. The latter point is something not at all lost in Maine, in spite of Wal-Marts and Rite-Aids taking over the world one square mile at a time. Lately, I have only become more aware of just how lucky we are to live where we live, and just how great we have it in terms of good old fashioned "Maine hospitality" and customer service. And now that I have made Maine my home for over five years, I "know" where to (and where not to) go for certain services. Where else can you find....






The Stove Barn: Even though burning wood is the latest fad, and even though everyone needs Wade "yesterday" to hook up their fake propane fireplaces, I still am able to go into the shop, talk to Mary, Wade's assistant, explain the problem, and get Wade out early next week. Not only that....but Mary remembered everything about me--even though the last time I was in was over a year ago.






Fortin's Appliances: To heck with the big box stores...Fortin's, in Winslow, is where its at. We bought our washer and dryer over a year ago, yet the salesman still remembered where we lived, that I taught at Winslow High, etc. He even gave Callum a little "Serta Lamb."






Mathieu's Cycle: The local bike shop where they remember your name and dont judge you on your lack of experience in riding a road bike. I have been having problems with my ride, and Dave and Paul have been working tirelessly to figure out the issue...even while I wait






Joseph's Market: The best butcher shop ever. Last week, I went in to buy a pot roast, and I asked Kevin, the owner, for some tips on how to cook it a new way. Despite there being a line of people waiting to place their order, he came around from the counter and showed me some great rubs, seasonings, etc. Its been around for over 80 years, in the same place, run by the same family...and the guys all still wear ties.






Asian Cafe: Just one of the many restaurants we frequent....we can't go in there without Daniel greeting me by my "Mr" surname, bringing out a "Thai Scramble" for an appetizer, and treating us to dessert of fried bananas and ice cream






Agway: The best store ever. Period. If they dont have it, you dont need it. This is a hardware/farm store, and I swear I will never set foot in a Home Depot again. It really is like stepping back in time. I have never been in there for more than 5 minutes without someone asking me if they could help me--its awesome. Furthermore, they people who work there "know" us. One guy (the guy who helped Amanda pick out and mix all the colors for Callum's room) is always asking us how the baby is doing, always saying hi, and always asking us to bring in pictures of the room so he can see how it came out. Another guy there, why just the other day in fact, asked me how my oak tree was doing....the oak tree he helped me pick out over a month ago, yet he still remembered. And they have a great cat who lives there. His name is Aggie.






Cancun: The best Mexican restaurant I've ever been to....we also frequent this place a bunch. And every time we do, Hector, the owner greets Callum, carries his carseat, positions Callum on the back of a chair, and sits down and talks to us. Fantastic. Where can you find service like this?






Sorry if I'm rambling....I just think we're all lucky to have these "small businesses" right in our own neighborhood...it really are these independent stores, restaurants, etc. that make America great--they give our landscapes, towns, and Main Streets color, variety, and excitement. I mean, what would you rather do: try a new Italian restaurant run by a family? Or go to Ruby Crapdays and get a cookie-cutter burger? We should all be supporting these places! There. That is my soapbox.






What do you think? What are your favorite "local mom and pop's?"

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more on my admiration for these types of places. Furthermore, the most direct way to help the middle class is to shop at mom and pop businesses.

As far as my favorites, I do everything I can to not eat at franchises/chains. I know that I'm incredibly biased, but the food tastes more "processed" at chain restaurants.

Anonymous said...

you are absolutely right about chains and their food tasting all processed and stuff....

the only good restaurants are those that get their food from "best foods"

right alo grik?

btw....everyone should go check out Georgios Steakhouse in Dighton. Ask them to slip you the "Greek Surprise" and you'll love it....

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you {isn't that a change} but it is getting harder and harder around here. Thats why I like to go to Georges, Maui, Yangzee and Fresh catch. Maybe with all the big closings, the mom and pop stores will come back where service is the name of the game.

Anonymous said...

ortiz--these are all restaurants. dont you go to any regular stores?

haha

what do you think callum's favorite restaurant will be??

Anonymous said...

VALENTINOS!!
Anthony is also into Voodoo grill lately.

Jared, you should not make fun or ORtiz since 99.999 percent of your blogs talk about food, the other 1 percent is you complaining about something.

wah wah wah

Anonymous said...

come on....be fair....i COMPLAIN way more than I talk about food, no?


ironically enough, i've never COMPLAINED about FOOD

(unless you mean Craparitas...but what they serve there isn food)

Anonymous said...

Good Mom and Pops to go to are:

Annie
and
Ortiz's

Anonymous said...

yes, mom's makes the best pasta sauce, and ortiz's makes the best omlettes....

Anonymous said...

Ortiz makes the best brownies!

Unknown said...

Ortiz,

Do you go to Emma's?

For take out, try West Side Foods (in Brockton, corner of Torrey Street and Morse Ave)

Also, Italian Kitchen off of Rt 28 near the Brockton/West Bridgewater line is good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim, thanks for the info. I haven't been to Emmas for I long time, even though its right around the corner.