Monday, February 7, 2011

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep

but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.....

I love Robert Frost. Do you? I do love getting out into the woods whenever possible. Training for my half marathon keeps me on the roads most of the time, and time when I would otherwise get on the trails is now (and quite happily might add) dedicated to building lego towers, wrestling, and holding fussy eight week olds. That, coupled with the fact that my cross country ski broke (the binding came right off on a New Years day ski and hard fall down a steep hill). Thus, I need to skis, since the binding are un-repairable. And since we arent really getting too much snow this winter, I dont know if it is worth 180 bucks. Right.

I did get onto the snowmobile trails that lace throughout the Fairfield countryside. I did this on Friday afternoon, while Amanda and the kids were over BaBa's house for his birthday. Our town is a big snowmobiling town, offering fantastic trails that sort of act as a "gateway" for the hardcore sledding of The Forks, Jackman, and ultimately Canada. So, if Jackman is heroin, I guess Fairfield is the marijuana. Right.

My little jaunt was after a beautiful snowfall the Wednesday before, and subfreezing temps kept everything looking just the way God intended. Beautiful. Blow the picture up to see just how wonderfully the local snowmobile clubs groom these trails. Impeccable.

I love going way into the woods and wondering where the heck I am in relation to civilization and other houses. I love being on the trail, in the middle of nowhere, and suddenly hearing a distant hum as snowmobiles spin on their way to pass you. Then, they finally come into sight, and it is quite a surreal experience--here you are, in the most tranquil woods, and you've been "found." I love it when the pass me; they are always so courteous. And, although I hate just about everything in the world to do with motors of any kind, inhaling the strong, heavy smell of the two-stroke oil they leave behind in the air is a smell I rate number three, after chimney smoke and fresh brewed coffee.

Sometimes you are on these serpentine and narrow trails throughout the woods, when, suddenly, things open up to these expansive, windy fields...what are they when there is no snow?
I saw five sleds out on the trails while I snowshoed. Everyone was friendly except this one lady on a sled. She kind of glared at me. But the people in her party seemed happy enough to see me. This lady looked like Jaba the Hut (that isnt even a fat joke....I mean, she was fat, but she SERIOUSLY looked like Jaba). Right. You see cute little signs like these all throughout the trails. Some are warnings, some direct you over bridges, some give directions, and some tell your horoscope. No.
This is one of those photos that definitely doesnt capture the beauty of what it REALLY looked like--nearing the end of the trail by Fairfield Center, you come to a clearing and you catch a glimpse of the Fairfield Methodist Church in the distance. Dad, if you are reading this, blow up the picture and you can see a hill off on the horizon. Over to the left of that hill is where the "Apple Farm" is. You remember that place, right?
A funny pine tree that looks like it is a "condominium" of sorts for woodpeckers....
I am glad Callum seems to love snowshoeing as much as we do. Amanda took him today, in fact--they went over to the Quarry Rd in Waterville. We are supposed to get four or so more inches tonight into tomorrow. So perhaps a fresh walk is in order?

3 comments:

ORTIZ said...

SOME BEAUTIFULL PICTURES,YOU MIGHT CONSIDER PRINTING AND FRAMING SOME OF THEM.

Jizzy Jibba said...

I want to go smoke some Fairfield

tim said...

yes