Thursday, September 6, 2012

Home Meet



And they're off!

Since we only have one XC meet per week, we end up having only one HOME meet at WInslow High School. It would take too long to have more. I cannot explain--without you seeing in person--just how exciting racing is. You wouldnt think so, but it is really high energy and high excitement situation. Our home course (3.1 miles) is actually considered pretty tough. Perhaps I should take some pictures of it for you to see; we have fields, hills, deep woods, roots, rocks, bridges over streams, and gravel trails similar to the carriage trails in Acadia. I think we have an excellent course! The general rule of thumb is to subtract (sometimes) 3 minutes off your WHS course time to see how this would translate onto a typical ROAD race; the mud and grass really slows you down! Number 101, our best runner, Nick, ended up getting second overall with a time of 19 minutes and change....

Callum loves these races--he often wants to BE in the race and, more often than not, warms up or cools down with the team! Here, he hangs out with his friend, senior runner Cody. Tim, Cody is the only Greek person I have ever met in Maine.

Oh hi! Kate Cassidy, mother of one of our runners, takes roughly 300 photos per race, and she puts them on FB for all to see/tag/etc. She does a great job and I am grateful!


Checking in with the girls before their race (girls and boys race separately). Notice Callum with his gatorade cup AND the official whistle. In lieu of a gun (you cant say GUN in skool) we start the race with a huge whistle blow after I say RUNNERS SET! Callum blew the whistle for the girl's race and I think it pretty much brought completion to his life....


Amanda and the kids try to make it to every race, and it is great having them--Cross Country is truly a family affair. Maybe I will even coach my kids someday! Although I think Maira will opt for football....

1 comment:

Ortiz said...

I think Callum will be a track expert and Miara will play rugby.