Monday, September 10, 2012

I met....




My new student teacher intern today...her name is Kelsey, and she is a senior at Colby, and I will be her "mentor teacher" while she does her student teaching with me until the end of January. Basically, my advice to her will be to watch everything I do as a teacher..........................and then do the opposite. It was REALLY great meeting her; I remember when I was a intern at Noble High School back in 2001, and I remember the energy and high hopes and nervousness I had for all I was going to experience. I also remember that as an intern, almost exactly 11 years ago, I was interrupted in my class by the PA speaker as Mr Tornrose, the school principal, came over the announcments saying words I will NEVER forget: "Young people, it pains me to report to you that the United States is currently under attack....a plane flew into the twin towers in NYC...another plane flew into the Pentagon....and one flew into the White House (that was what the news first reported on 9/11). I remember as an intern not knowing WHAT.THE.HECK. to do after he got finished. What do you say to kids? Or anyone? It was one of the most scary and bizarre days of my life. Indescribable. I know someday Callum or Maira will do some project or something for social studies where they'll have to interview Amanda or me and ask us where we were when we first heard about the terrorist attacks on 9/11....I will tell them this story. I cannot imagine starting out as a new teacher again; I wouldnt wish the first year of teaching on my worst enemy. I have said that over and over again. I hope you enjoy the pictures of Callum and Maira watching their favorite movie as of late: The 1989 hit "Prancer."

1 comment:

Belle said...

Maira and Callum are so cute! Love the pictures. Can't wait to see them again at Thanksgiving! Hugs and kisses to all of you! xoxo