Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lots of rain

last night....our woodstove chimney continues to leak in strange places; interestingly, the chimney that was built when the house was built (over 50 years ago) has never had an issue....but the one built in the 80s (the 1980s) for the wood stove has more issues than National Geographic, he, said. Weird. Leaks in the basement by the cleanout. By the stovepipe. And through ONE brick in the kid's room....

Callum and I picked fourteen tomatoes tonight, including a HUGE brandywine beauty--I took a picture and will upload it tomorrow....

Callum has his four year old doctor's appt tomorrow afternoon...he will get  many shots, although he doesnt know that yet...I wonder if, given the choice, he would choose shots over having to go to preschool??

Did you ever go to work with your dad when you were a kid? I was just thinking about this today. Maybe it is because I spent a lot of time on Saturday talking to people who work in Boston, as I used to for a bit; I still miss working in the city sometimes, and my dad worked in Boston for like 30 years. I used to go to work with him all the time and, looking back, I realize it was one of the most exciting things I did as a kid. Isnt that funny? Going to WORK was an exciting thing? I think it was because of all the offbeat logistics that went into going to work wit Hank: Getting up at quarter to four in the morning....listening to WBZ with Dave Maynard all the way into town (my dad has always called Boston 'town' which I think is funny)...watching the day transition from night to morning, and watching the increasingly large volume of cars on the highway as we made our way in....stopping at Ray's Subs in Cambridge every morning, where ALL the glaziers stopped for toast and coffee before work...and eating my way through the day (coffee truck at ten, coffee breaks, chinese food for lunch usually, etc). I cant believe my dad did this for so long--he has been retired for a number of years now. My mom hopes to retire in a few years. My Aunt Patty just retired last week. George is supposedly retired.

Here are some pictures from FOUR Septembers ago....Amanda and I were looking through these tonight, and LOVE these. Our poor little guy is growing up so fast and he is still so anxious and sad about school....but you cannot protect them forever....



From when Papa and Grammie Goldsmith came up to visit. Callum 'sizing up' Papa back in the day...


Funny how the brain works--going from thinking about Boston to going to work with my dad to retiring? Tangent central, I guess. I wonder if I will ever get to retire? I cannot even IMAGINE being done with work. What a strange feeling it must be, to put it lightly. It must be amazing. Or sucky. Or both. I will probably drink a lot.

No comments: