Monday, September 17, 2012

My Wife

is on sewing fire lately....I will have to take some pictures of her little sewing nook down in the basement...I am really proud of her lately for the way in which she is taking control of her own health and doing things that she loves doing--all too often, with kids I think, we forget to nurture our own bodies and souls. For me, working out has become an almost sacrosanct activity--if I dont get my run or my yoga or my exercises in, I am a miserable person. For Amanda, I know she loves to create: knitting, sewing, quilting, etc. It is SO EASY to just come home every day and veg out and watch TV, catch up on laundry, etc. But she is kicking butt getting her quilting projects in line, sewing a Halloween wall hanging, and (almost) finishing a sweater she started for me a few months ago (84 months to be exact....). PLUS, the chick is DESTROYING the Harry Potter's. She began re-reading them in mid July, and she has just ONE MORE book to go before reading the WHOLE series again. Keep plugging away with nurturing yourself Amanda!

Callum, too, has become sort of interested in what is involved with sewing and quilting: He went to the store with Lynne and Amanda on Saturday, and he, too, chose some fabric for a "craft project." He loves calling these things "craft projects" no matter what it is--he loves to create. He chose one piece with lobsters on it. And another piece with Christmas bells. Amanda will strip them, align them, and sew them into a little "lap quilt" for him. I hope Callum is well rounded enough that he grows to appreciate not just the stereotypical "GUY" stuff like soccer, football, running, paddling, and all the other stuff he loves....but also some of the great artistic things out there....

Maira, on the other hand, is happy to be doing just about anything, as long as she can bring her "baby" (the cabbage patch doll my dad got her for Christmas) whom she has named "Ashley." Very cute. On Saturday, while the other Goldsmiths were in Freeport, Maira and I went over to Colby College and did a little nature walking up the hills we run up for Cross COuntry practice--she loved it, did some of her own "hill repeats," collected pine cones (her favorite) and chose about 5 or 6 acorns to bring home to "buddy."

We are growing to love Saturday nights, having the college football game of the week on: I am growing to really love college football, simply for how exciting it is--no matter who is playing. You just see more longbombs being thrown, and just more risk in general. And, on Saturday night, it was FIGHTING IRISH vs Michigan State. Jeesh...how the mighty have fallen: When I was a kid, ND was THEEEEEEE college football team. EVERYONE had Notre Dame apparel, hats, etc. You dont see that much anymore. Maybe it is just cuz I live in CentralMaine, where the majority of the people-unlike in Easton Mass--are NOT Irish...

1 comment:

Ortiz said...

Good blog Jared. Good going Amanda, I know how you feel, my body is my Temple, only trouble is the walls are crumbling.