Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Humbling Experience.....





Started "outpatient" physical therapy yesterday at "Champions Fitness Center" in Waterville. First of all, this place is, simultaneously, a wedding reception center, a night club/bar, an indoor tennis court, a health club, and a PT venue. #onlyinMaine. It is right behind Hannaford.....

So yesterday I had my evaluation, and my therapist was very honest and forthcoming--which is good, because I dont need anyone to coddle/lie to me. Essentially, I have major major major muscle atrophy (especially in my left arm...but actually in both arms). She used phrases like "wow" and "damm you've got like no strength whatsoever..." and "you'll be here for a while" and stuff like that. Yikes. But it was all supportively said, and she is very committed to getting me back to a place I used to be.

It is very discouraging in a way, when considering how far I had come and how hard I had been working--I would say that before I went into surgery, I was probably the strongest I have ever been. Now.......not so much. So my plan is to go for at least three times a week for a month or so, and then re-evaluate. My therapist DID say that my healing would go so much faster if my mom read this blog.....but, alas, she does not. So I will just have to do extra PT....

I'm doing lots of isometric stuff like 'pushing' my fist and elbows and forearms into walls....and I am using a cane to 'guide' my arm up above my head, as if I am asking a question. Which I am. And the question is: WHEN CAN I LIFT AND DO PULLUPS AND YOGA AGAIN???!!? Hopefully soon.

One of the nicest parts is getting about 20 minutes of DEEEEEEEP tissue massage and then some ultrasound stuff after all the exercises. Very nice indeed. I am very very tight and need a lot of massage #blatantbirthdaygifthints. The other benefit to doing PT at Champions is that while I am doing my therapy, I have free usage of the gym....and after I am discharged, I get a free month membership. So yeah.

April 9th today, and still cold and sleety and miserable....have a wood fire going right now as I write this....and meanwhile for the New Jersey folks it was 87 there today!!! Jeeeeeeesh. Havent even heard the peeper frogs yet in the bog across the street. Hopefully it snows soon!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do they also have a Chinese Buffett there?