Sunday, April 21, 2013

Foil and Ice Cream

 
Amanda just got back from Hannaford with three items we needed: ice cream, aluminum foil, and diapers. Two funny things struck me. First, on the box of Reynolds Wrap foil, it says the slogan "Trusted since 1947." I guess I dont put aluminum foil sheets in any "trust" situations in my life, so I guess I never thought about which brand was the best. Do some people put a lot of 'trust' in foil? What would one of those situations be? First aid? Financial planning? Religious faith? Speaking for myself, I usually just use it to cover a bowl of leftover couscous. If it slips off the bowl and my couscous is a little dry the next day, I usually recover pretty fast, and I am not left feeling abandoned, angry, let down, or caustic towards the foil. I have no trust issues as far as that is concerned. But that is just me.......
 
On the ice cream: There are absolutely no security measures taken with Friendly's half gallon cartons of ice cream--no safety wrapper, no plastic seal, no nothing. You take off the lid, and you are ready to rock. I cant think of ANY food ANYTHING in my life that doesnt have security things on it--even little bottles of spring water have them. Antacids have them. Milk. I mean, even 2.99  plastic tubs of gumdrops that my mom, who doesnt read this blog, gets at the Christmas Tree Shop have a layer of thin plastic (a plastic you can trust....since 1947, probably) between you and the sugary treats. So why not ice cream? I figured it is because ice cream is one of those foods in the world that brings people together. Does anyone NOT like ice cream? Probably. But ice cream is one of those "feel good" things and my theory is that no one--not even insane terrorist types--wants to mess with people enjoying ice cream. It is akin to a cease fire on Christmas Eve; messing with ice cream is off limits. Go put anthrax in McCormack Spice tubs of 'cream of tartar,' but leave my mint chocolate chip alone. Yeah. 

 
 
Forts. Yeah. Under the table, even. Check it out. I'd live there.
 
 
Kids love forts. 

Little reading nooks in which to hide out to avoid having to go to bed.....bring all your stuffed friends in and have a blast!


One sign of spring-to-come (as we are almost through April) occurred a few days ago when the public works dudes were out with the huge street sweepers, power brooms, Bobcats, front end loaders, and dump trucks. No, this wasnt a big construction project; they were just removing the winter sand from the side streets. Kind of a cool process. Callum sat on the dining room table and enjoyed the show (blow it up and you can see the WICKED COOL street sweeper thingy......)

1 comment:

billy bob said...

Great Pictures! I'd be very cautious of the non protected ice cream though. You never know......