Monday, April 15, 2013

Marathon Bombing





We took an impromptu trip up to Seawall and it wasnt until about 6 tonight that I got on the web and looked at the stories regarding today's Boston Marathon. Thinking that I was just going to see the winners, times, etc, you can imagine my shock when I realized just what had happened in my dear old city of Boston.

I think when tragedy strikes, a myriad of emotions and stages quickly run throughout people's minds...but there is an overwhelming theme to my anger/sadness/despondency regarding this catastrophe. First of all, this was an act of terrorism. Terrorism doesnt necessarily mean Al Quaeda or other Islamic Extremists--but this was nonetheless an act of terror. Someone purposely set a bomb with the intent of harming innocent people.

But for what reason?

Usually, terrorists have anger or hatred pointed in a general direction: Christians. Jews. Blacks. Gays.Etc.  Or, they have a 'cause' like anti abortion, anti war, etc. What was the deal with today's tragic bombing? Running? Really? Someone had some vendetta against running? That is the only cohesive element to today's gathering. So, apparently, someone out there hates running and hard work and the human spirit. And blisters. Blisters too. Oh........and chafing.

I love running and consider it as much of a mental and emotional catharsis and meditation as I do a spiritual prayer as I do a physical workout. In my life I have done a LOT of different types of exercise, but nothing compares to running. Running, to me, is the best sport because it is the kindest and gentlest. It relies completely on human strength and endurance--no motorized companion things....no trendy sand-filled-kettle-bar things....no gizmos...no machines. It requires almost no equipment whatsoever (you need a decent pair of shoes). And you cant be upset if this equipment "breaks," because it only means that you have DONE YOUR JOB and run your heart out and thus need new shoes. There are no rules or times or classes or guidelines. You dont have to check in anywhere. You go wherever and whenever you want. Running is freakin TOUGH and, at the risk of sounding completely dinky and arrogant, I think this is why so many people dont stick with it--it doesnt offer instant gratification, and you really have to stick with it for a month or so before it starts to feel good. Running is a peaceful sport--it is quiet and soft and solitary and it doesnt burn any gas or use any electricity. It is pure human grit.

To run 26 miles and 384 yards is a phenom of nature and I applaud anyone who would choose to undertake this. I sure would not. So, sadly, the best I can come up with is that there is some lonely person out there who hates all the above things that running stands for--not to mention the proud family and friends who came to cheer the runners on. This terrorist must be from a group or brotherhood that hates hard-work-rewarded....they must hate the human spirit, because they tried to bomb it today. Running is a painfully glorious venture--I respect anyone who runs, whether it be 1 mile or 26. I hope that when they catch this person (or person) they punish them by tying them up to a chair at next year's finish line and watching all the grueling faces cross that line and truly earn victory.

Oh, and also, each finisher should wring their shirt out into a big pitcher....and the only thing that the terrorist should be able to drink that day is running sweat. So.....yeah....

1 comment:

tk said...

One of the saddest days of our lives.