Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Running.....

....had me a bla-aaaast... (get it?? Like the Grease song?? No?? Okay.)

The summer is young and the Goldsmiths are already two races deep in this silly running stuff. This afternoon our friend Beth messaged me telling me about this summer race series at the Quarry Road Rec Area in Waterville (I will have to do a whole post on the quarry road some time...I have written about it before with regards to snowshoeing, skiing, etc....but it is a VAST expanse of trails and connector stuff in Waterville). Every Tuesday night there is a kid's 'fun run' followed by a loner 'adult race.' The race tonight was four miles, and next week will be five, the following will be six, and then they start back at a 5K again....get it? The kid's race is a mile, and so tonight we went and he did it with his friends Hannah and Emily. He had a blast!

I did not participate, as difficult as it was for me--I am taking a whole week off from running, and I am getting back on my road bike for the first time since October/Surgery/Recover/Etc. It might not seem like a lot, but taking six days off from running, for me, is incredibly difficult. Since my surgery and subsequent recovery, I am starting to realize how passionate I am for running, and what a roll it plays in my life not only as an excellent physical exercise, but also as a spiritual meditation. After the kid's race ended, and as I watched the adults all line up for the four mile trail race, I got REALLY jealous that I couldnt run tonight, and my competitive nature (which I thought was nonexistent) was rising like mad. I didnt just want to run....I wanted to RACE. And I have never wanted that.  It was kind of funny actually. SIDE NOTE: My road bike scares the crap out of me...with the skinny tires....the lack of shock absorption....the speed....the clipless pedals...I am more afraid than usual that I am going to fall and kill my shoulder again. But whatever....

Last Saturday, the day of Callum's birthday party, began with Callum running the Summer Heat 5k and 1 Mile Run Run (like he did last year). He ran the mile in 10:16, which I think is awesome!! I ran the 5K trail run afterwards, and got virtually the exact time as I got last year; with all the rain, the trail conditions deep in the woods were ATROCIOUS. I love seeing the passion Callum has for running, and I love seeing the way Maira loves cheering for her brother. Maira, too, enjoys 'running,' but have you seen how short her fat little legs are?? It must be so hard for her....

I am hoping that running will continue to be a Goldsmith Family Affair and that the kids (and AManda hopefully) embrace running--a truly minimalist sport you can do anytime, anywhere, and without a bunch of money wasted on fancy gadgets and gear. Just go outside, move your legs, breathe deeply, and reap the rewards.....

At the start of the run.....hanging out, talking with friends....also, notice the nice new orange three sided tent in the background....the XC team bought this to set up at our meets so we can get our COleman stove going, have cocoa, hide from the rain and wind of the fall, etc etc. #nice



myeah......

Callum post race, with his medal. He got second place. 

Birthday party post to follow, but check out the racecar cake Amanda made from scratch!! Very awesome. I love the way Amanda always makes a homemade, original cake. (Truth be told though, the frosting was from Hillmans. Amen to that!)

No comments: