Monday, November 10, 2014


On the day before last week's noreaster, which probably officially 'closed' the apple orchard, Amanda and I made our way over to the Apple Farm here in Fairfield because, according to their FB page, it was the final day of the season. We took advantage of a rare 'date' as Lin and Gorge stayed with the kids so Sally and I could make haste and fill our half bushel bags with (actually gorgeous and in many cases unblemished) dropped apples....

We had the whole orchard to ourselves. Well, except for the hunters who were probably staked out in the trees, as it was the first day of hunting season....notice the orange armbands we had to wear....



We picked up JUST dropped apples as the whole orchard was open....all apples were either ripe or PAST ripe....it is really sad how many apples must go to waste all the time....I mean, we were able to fill up two whole bushels of apples in like ten minutes without hardly even working....TONS of apples leftover....

The price is unbeatable, and I dont know why more people dont take advantage.....we were able to get two bushels of apples for ten bucks....and, like I said before, most of these were in prime condition. Gonna make some great applesauce!


I am very happy when I am with her.


And to be even more creative, this year we are trying making our own apple cider vinegar! Our compost bin is full and I didnt want to just throw away all the scraps from peeling and coring our apples for sauce....so I read up on uses for all these scraps. Voila! Apple Cider Vinegar! Tons and tons of health remedies and uses; I was very surprised actually! And very easy to make. I just put all the scraps in a big crock and covered it with water....let the fermentation begin. See you with my vinegar on Nov 28!



No comments: