Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Apple Farm





This morning, after drinking our coffee and chatting by the kitchen island, Dad, Amanda, and I drove over to the Wintergreen Herb farm to pick up our produce for the week--cabbage (the subject of another blog), heirloom tomatoes, spices, squash, and garlic. Amanda and I went down the path a ways to say hi to the "piglets" we met earlier this summer. Well, now they aren't so much piglets anymore . . .the three of them each weigh about 140-160 pounds. When we first saw them, they were so tiny, so cute, and so playful. Now, they just kind of "root" up weeds and plants and eat as much as they possibly can. Kate raises pigs for meat, and these guys are scheduled to leave for the slaughterhouse on November 3. She is obviously attached to them, and I asked her how difficult it is for her to get so attached, and then kill them. A good question to ponder, I suppose. But, in the end, I guess its just more reason to give thanks for the food which we get to eat--these pigs pay the ultimate sacrifice for our palates, and I suppose they live far greater lives than most of the other pigs that grow up on hogfarms and such . . .


After the farm, we drove over to the Apple Farm in our very own Fairfield. It is in some beautiful country, and it was a beautiful fall day to be outside--cool, crisp, and breezy. Amanda and I saw so many people we knew--students, church people, and even teachers. For 5 extra bonus points, try to find WHS's very own Scott Wood sampling some cider . . .


We bought some delicious apples, and sampled their scrumptious cider, donuts, and mustard pickles. I got an "apple box" bushel-thingy in which to keep our kindling by the wood stove. And we took home a gallon of their fresh cider--made so freshly that it wasn't even chilled yet. They have wonderful cider that always tastes different--depending on the apples being picked that day. I've included their fully operational--and always fun to watch--cider press mill.


When we got back from the farm, Dad and I played around with the new chop saw he bought us (thanks Dad!) and mitred til our hands could mitre no more. From there it was off to The Red Barn for a late lunch--with my "Black Raider Card" that I bought to support the football team, we had a "buy one get one free" deal with chicken baskets. The Red Barn is Maine-famous for their delicious chicken and seafood baskets, as well as their seafood stew--for $4.25 one gets a cup of stew so loaded with fresh lobster meat, scallops, shrimp, and haddock, that there isnt even room for "filler" potatoes! Its unbelievable.


All in all a great day to get my mind off of school for a while. Classes are fantastic, and all the things that fit my job description are going just well. Its all the political crap--as always--that is making this year a very divided one amongst the faculty. This past two weeks saw visits from Channel 5, Channel 6, Channel 8, OSHA, The Dept. of Labor, and the ACLU--in fact I just got finished reading ANOTHER article about my school (which I love by the way . . .in all seriousness) in "The Morning Sentinel." Stay tuned for the national news, I guess . . .

No comments: