Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bachelor Night




A hint of fall is in the air up here. In fact, Kevin Mannix--the only meteorologist in Maine that knows what's up--talked about there being snow up in British Columbia that COULD fall in the northern mountains. I heard we might have a half-day tomorrow if the roads are bad.


But it is very chilly out this evening, and some teachers at school have been asking me if I have had any fires yet; a few of us have this sort of "wood stove club." We talk about things such as what types of hardwoods we have the most of this year, if we got it stacked yet, when we burn the damper "wide open," and what we do with extra ash. Surprisingly, several teachers have had fires in the past couple of days--with all the rain we had (about two inches in Fairfield), they said it "takes the chill off."


But very chilly this evening, as I said. Even this afternoon, as I mowed the lawn (by the way, I figure I will have to mow it two more times this year) I could feel a different sort of air moving around. And it was windy! This can be dangerous for Thomas Pee, as the wind might blow the door shut in whatever room he happens to be frequenting (sleeping in) at the time. After mowing the lawn, I went for a nice long run, and enjoyed the cool air for the first time in a long while. We're supposed to have a frost tonight. I wonder if we'll have a two hour delay in the morning . . . .


In addition to mowing, running, and cleaning the house, I also made some gazpacho. For those who dont know, it is a Mexican tomato soup--served chilled. I took some of the heirloom tomatoes, some cayenne pepper, cucumbers, red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, muppet, and chicken stock, and shoved it all into the blender. A very easy, very healthy dish. Refreshing too. Try serving it with some crudites (I dont know what crudites are, but it sounds like something Martha Stewart would say).


The reason I did all this tonight is because this evening--and every Wednesday evening for the rest of the fall, winter, and spring--Amanda started up her rehearsals again. She is the oboist for the Augusta Symphony Orchestra, and I am very very proud of her for pursuing something she is so talented at! Her good friend Emily plays the French Horn, so it is sort of like an all around "girls night" for the two of them. Emily, who teaches music in Camden, drives to Augusta after class. The two of them have dinner and gossip, and then they go to rehearsal. What fun!


This fall, they are playing a piece by Shostokovich. I love the way he blends traditionalism with a true manifestation for his panache with baroque. I have no idea what I am talking about. I can't even SAY Shostokovich. Sally teaches me so much about classical music--it is pretty neat actually. This winter, they are playing Handel's "Messiah," which I will not go to. Part of Amanda and I's prenuptial agreement stated that I didnt have to go to ANY MORE performances of the Messiah--or, as I like to call it, the "Crappiah." Three hours of crappy choral music all leading up to the "Hallelujah" song that is sampled by every movie and TV commercial out there. That, and I've seen her play like a hundred times. Now you all think I'm a bad husband . . . .


Pizza with the Babik's tomorrow, who leave for England soon. Yum (the pizza, not the country).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woodstoves huh? Can't have one, theys gives mes the sniffles.

Muppet is great in Gazpacho- muy calente!

Good for Panda. My wife plays the Italian Organ in the Blackstone Pontherpmonic

Belle said...

Steve Cee found his spoons and is ready to play with Panda when we come up at Thanksgiving......

Anonymous said...

Shostokovich is one of my favorites, I hum it all the time. How about adding a little Miss Piggy to go along with the muppet

Anonymous said...

dirty jay southside wins the award for funniest comment to date