Monday, September 10, 2007

Big Fat Juicy Tomatoes (and Amanda)




I used to hate tomatoes, but now they hold a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I have become a tomato snob, and, although I love the winter, I chide at the notion of eating store bought tomatoes from Hannaford that were grown in Dirkadirkastan or someplace far away. If Amanda and I had more room and a bigger yard, we'd grow 67 tomato plants like Uncle Karl does (I'm not kidding by the way. He also grows rows upon rows of corn, peppers, and anything else you can imagine). But we don't. We grew two patio tomato plants, and they have yielded us several bright ripe tomatoes (and early too . . .it was like the beginning of August or earlier!) Those are pictured to the left, on the little tray. In back, sitting in the green crate, are "Matt's Wild" cherry tomatoes---so sweet and juicy. We get these from Wintergreen farm, the MOFGA (organic) farm where we get our produce during the fall and summer. Our favorites are "sun gold" cherry tomatoes, which arent as bright red, but Matt's Wild suit us just fine. Finally, on the right, are some of Uncle Karl's beauties--German Striped Heirloom tomatoes. An "heirloom" means that it is a "real" tomato, which existed in nature long before people started breeding them to create other tomatoes. Plum tomatoes, Beefsteak tomatoes, and Roma tomatoes are all examples of "bred" tomatoes. Some are made for sauces. Some are made for canning. The list goes on. "Heirloom" tomatoes just "are." In addition, they are horrendously ugly and amorphous. This is because they are wild. They are the most delicious this way.


Now that I have finished my tomato dissertation . . .


We did a bunch of cooking yesterday. When the weather gets cooler (even if only for a few hours) we tend to do that. Amanda baked a delicous peach pie with some Glastonbury CT peaches. I made some BBQ ribs in the oven, to be used for tomorrow night's meal. And I also roasted a chicken. After the chicken was done, I tore off all the meat, put it into a Corningware bowl and mixed it with some mayo and some homemade gravy I made from the pan drippings. Then, to please the girl, I added a chopped apple and a diced cucumber. What a great chicken salad! We'll use this for lunches this week.


Finally, Amanda and Lynne started their first of two classes offered through Fairfield adult education. The first class involved "applique pillow making," which is essentially making a cute, nice pillow. My guess is that I wont be allowed to sleep on this pillow, since I have a way of sweating through the night, and I turn pillows yellow. TMI. The second class they are taking involves making a table runner for their dining room tables. If a "table cloth" is akin to full coverage cotton briefs, then the "table runner" is the lacy thong.


Have a great day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jared,

What happened to us?

Sincerely,

Your Pant Tomatoes

Belle said...

I see Jared really LOVES his Phillies hat!

Anonymous said...

what the heck is a "pant tomato?"
please explain . . .

Anonymous said...

makes me want a nice grilled tomatoe and cheese sandwitch, DAD

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jared does love his Phillies hat. In fact, it's the only hat he's worn since he got it. I think it's funny because he knows NOTHING about them -- he just likes them because it represents the Jersey side of the family.

Belle said...

It makes me so happy that Jared likes us enough to want to represent us :)

I need to get your chicken salad recipe it sounds delicious and I just bought a whole chicken from Sam's today.

Anonymous said...

pant tomatoes = bryan nuts