Sunday, September 23, 2007

Spinners and Coffee Porter




I should have written this last night, but I was too tired. Consider this Saturday's entry. Amanda and spent Saturday helping Karl and Jody Andresen close their pool for the season--there sure is a lot of work that goes into having a pool (maybe what my dad said was right!). We can never seem to leave the Andresen's without a bushel full of vegetables from Karl's garden--now we have bags of red potatoes, hot chili peppers, and pungent onions. After leaving Karl's we went to Agway to pick up some stain, with the hopes of getting the first coat on the texture-111 wood that is the siding of the mudroom. It was a gamble as to if it was going to rain, but in the end we prevailed, getting the entire first coat on both sides. Boy, it is tough to stain this type of wood--with all the texture involved in the wood, the wood just "sucks" the stain right in, and its almost impossible to "spread" it around like you can regular paint. But we did it.


Later that evening, Jonathan and Mel came by to eat split pea soup I made. In addition, a man Jon works with home brews beer, and he gave Jonathan a gallon and a half of "coffee porter," which is a beer that seems twice as dark as Guinness . . .and brewed with coffee beans in it. It had a remarkably smooth, rich, almost "soy sauce" kind of taste. I know that sounds gross--who wants to drink soy sauce. But it wasnt "bad" soy sauce flavor. You had to be there I guess. The only "problem" was that once the jug was open, it had to get all drunk (dranken, drank, drunken?? I dont know actually). So we "had" to do our part in drinking it all so it wouldnt go to waste. It was job we were proud to do.


We also played a game called "Spinners." Spinners is a domino game I was introduced to by Grandmom and Grandpop when I first started dating Amanda. Its lots of fun, and Mel is hooked. Even my sister and Twon like to play when we are together. I like the game because domino's are cool to play, and I like all the different shapes that are made on the table--they remind me of crop circle designs.


Lastly, you'll see Amanda, Constance, and Thomas P. all curled up on the couch, while mumma works on her pillow for tomorrow's class. How cute!


No comments: