Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Late Summer Planting





A busy day today. I was at school until well after 5 today, just trying to get my sub plans ready for the rest of the week, as I will be out of school, travelling down to Mass with Amanda for Nana's funeral. When I did get home, I went for a nice long hour-and-a-half bike ride, caught up with Paul--who is back from camp--and ate dinner. Since dinner, I have been working on Nana's eulogy, as the family asked me to deliver it at the funeral service Thursday. I just finished writing it, and now am getting ready for bed.


Pictured above are the two new trees we planted in our yard. Out front in a Sugar Maple, and out back is an Ornamental Pear. Both of these trees will provide great shade and beautiful fall foliage. The pear tree bears little baby pears, which are inedible to humans, but are enjoyed by birds and Rod Record. It is nice to have some trees now. We got some great compost (Penobscot Blend--its called) consisting of decomposed blueberries, salmon, and mussels


The other picture is of Amanda's Heliopsis (yellow) and Echinacea (purple) which are two flowers in the front beds which had great seasons. The Echinacea is just winding down, as you can see. But the Heliopsis is beautiful--twice as tall and twice as plentiful as last year. Last season we had flowers almost into December!!! As I remember, I painted the garage doors on December 4th, since it was in the high 50s. Weird weather.


Amanda does a great job with her flowers and her gardens.


Talk to you all later

2 comments:

Lauren & Brian said...

what a beautiful place to call "home".

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your loss.