Thursday, August 21, 2008

Autumn in the air?

Probably not. But yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day in Maine, with daytime temps hovering in the 60's, and evening before dropping down into the lower 40's. We closed all the windows, and I actually put on pants!

Its a pretty well known fact that I hate summer. I like early summer/late spring when everything gets all green, but after that, I'd just assume stay inside and read. I dont like the heat at all, so yesterday, being cool, was ideal to get out. Callum initially wasnt feeling well because, the day before, he had 6 vaccinations. But he started acting more like himself and we took a ride to Lake George Park in Canaan. Neither one of us had ever been there before, and we were really impressed at how beautiful it is--we cant believe we went five years without ever checking it out! It has beautiful pine and oak groves, picnic tables, land bridges to islands, beaches, barbeques, and sunny, open fields for frisbee, wiffleball, or catch. Here's Callum and I by the water (his head control is exemplary, and he is always looking up, as two of his favorite things in all the world are ceiling fans and trees. He is looking at the pine trees blowing in the wind).
It was actually cold out! We had to wrap the little man in a swaddling blanket, as there was a biting wind coming off the lake. No swimming for us yesterday . . .but maybe next time. The water looked beautiful. Here's Amanda and Callum
Walking back from one of the islands across the land bridge. Over to the left is a nice boat launch. We'll probably bring the canoe back and put Callum in his little life jacket that Papa Goldsmith got him.
It was so cool out that Amanda got the "baking bug." She made cup custards to have during our evening viewings of the Olympics and Netflix DVDs when Callum goes to bed. And she also made Monkey Bread, since it reminds her of her grandmom, who used to make it all the time.
On the way back from the lake, we stopped at Oak Pond Brewery to fill up a couple of growlers with some fresh ale--tomorrow I have Tim, Johnny C, and Jay Pontosmelly coming up for a visit for the weekend. I went in to school today to get my room organized. It is. Now, I can start planning the first week of school, etc. It is going to be SO HARD to leave Callum . . . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't drink growlers...I call the Animal Control Officer on them!

Unknown said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Anonymous said...

Callum looks like he likes the Great Outdoors, he is so handsome. I would like to be a fly on the wall when you and the 3 stooges get together. Have a good time and be safe.

Anonymous said...

Callum looks just like you Jared!

Anonymous said...

Buttocks

Michelle Garner said...

Those are beautiful pictures, Jared and Amanda. :)

Michelle Garner said...

Hey Jared and Amanda - I just wanted to let you know that I found two new books for Callum. Of course, they are Sandra Boyton books, so I'm sure you guys will like them. One of them even involves dancing! Hope you guys enjoyed your weekend - hope to see you soon!