Friday, August 1, 2008

Callum, Kayaks, and Kicking back

We've been very busy lately, with the Favry's coming up this past Tuesday night; tomorrow, we are all leaving Fairfield together, and driving down to Mass, where Amanda and I have a wedding to attend. We've done so many things in the past four days, but I thought I'd give you a quick overview.

Food. Of course. Not only because this is my blog, but also because Twon gets these images of grandeur about food. I made an egg bake (inspired by M-S Thurston) for breakfast on Wednesday, we got Chinese food, we got chicken baskets, and Twon COOKED. He made cinnamon French toast for breakfast one morning, and last night he went to town with some type of goat cheese and sun-dried tomato dip. We also improvised with a delicious turkey breast Ortiz sent up, and we had some wonderful country gravy. Finally, Amanda used some red potatoes from the Andresen's garden and made some "smashed" potatoes. Here is a picture of last night's dinner (Callum was already asleep).


Paddling. On Wednesday, Anthony and I went down to Freeport because he wanted to look at boats for himself and for Kristin. He ended up buying two kayaks--both Old Town's (as if there is another??!!). He got an Adventure XL for himself, and a Loon for Kristin. After LL Bean's, we had a quick "beer and a bump" at Jamison's tavern, where "Maine was born." According to the lore, Jamison's tavern was the place where the resolution was written for Maine to "secede" from being part of Mass. Good for them.

Obviously, Anthony and Kristin were SO anxious to paddle, but about 2 good inches of rain yesterday prevented us from all going. So, yesterday, we went down to the Liberal Cup for some pints and appetizers, and then went to Kohl's. Today, however, was much nicer, and this afternoon, Grammy came over to watch the little man, and we all took a nice paddle on Messalonskee Stream. Look at Kristin!! And there isnt even a "Shopoholic" book in the cockpit with her!
It was special for Amanda and I, since it was the first time we've been able to get out on the canoe together in well over a year . . .thanks Grammy for Callumsitting.

(Streeter wants his attire back, I know . . .) Finally, this afternoon, Anthony and I took a ride to Oak Pond Brewery in Skowhegan--its a brewery in a converted Chicken barn, and it was absolutely fantastic! Very rural, very local, and very "real." We took a tour, tried the six samples he had on tap, and then Anthony bought (3) growlers to take back to CT. I have been enjoying their beer for some time now; it has a "German" flair to it. Moreover, per a blog Thurston wrote last week, I really love supporting the local breweries. I am wondering if I'll ever actually buy a six pack again--I might become a growler guy; some people make the switch to eating all organic, but I think I am going to make the switch to "growler's only." Say it with me . . . GROWLER. Its so cool--you pay 7 bucks for a half a gallon of fresh beer, and then, when you are done, you bring it back to be refilled for 5 bucks. Or, if you are like me and collect beer bottles that you put on shelves in the "Men's Den," then you do just that. Check them out at www.oakpondbrewery.com.

Oh, and Anthony will only be bringing 1 full growler back to CT. Oh well. I'll have to refill them for him . . .

Ta . . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just realizing there are NO pictures of Callum on this post. For those, click on the link for Favry's Blog, and you'll see plenty!

Unknown said...

By the sounds of this and your emails yesterday, seems like you had a nice little Friday.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you all had a good time, hopefully you can all paddle more often. Jared rememmber the time you and I were in the canoe, I will never forget that. Kristin you look real good in the Kyack.

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys had a good time. You go Kristin!!! I will check out your blog.

Aunty Carol said...

hi guys. I had to go on the other blog to the the pictures of that handsome son of yours. he is getting so big already and has definately lost the newborn look. can't wait to see him in person. when is he coming to MA again?