Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tore and Mi-Hyuen

Another busy weekend in what has turned out to be a VERY busy summer--I dont know if Amanda, Callum, and I have actually stayed home two days in a row this summer . . .we are always on the go! We just got back from Mass on Sunday night, and then, on Thursday, Amanda and Callum are headed down to New Jersey for a week . . . so much travelling!

This past weekend was a good one--Callum got to see his Nannie, Papa, PB, and GG (great . . .more blog names no one knows!). We had a nice visit, got to eat at Texas Roadhouse (best prime rib in the world), and Callum got to be babysat by his Aunt Kristin and Uncle Twon (who, remember, had been at our house since last Tuesday, and then travelled down to Mass with us on Saturday morning).

The hilight of the weekend was the wedding of Tore and Mi-Hyuen, whom I will call, from this point on, M-H. They had a very small, but beautiful wedding at the Fuller Art museum in Brockton; MH's family flew in from Korea for the event (5K per ticket!!). This museum overlooks one of the ponds that is part of Fields Park. For me, it was a trip down memory lane, since when I was a boy, me, my sister, my dad, and my Papa Goldsmith would come to this park (to the very pond pictured below) and feed the ducks; we'd stop at the 7-11 and pick up a loaf of wonder bread, and then go feed the little Mallards and such. Also, Fields park was THE destination for sledding in the winter, offering great hills! I pointed out all the places I remembered from when I was a boy--where Ed's Poultry used to be, the Carvel, the "original" Dunkin Donuts, etc. Tore and MH both looked smashing as they took their vows . . .
After the short ceremony, there was about an hour of appetizers and cocktails (me, mention food??) which were awesome--they had the traditional scallops wrapped in bacon, coconut shrimp, etc . . .but what was really fantastic was a "live" sushi table where a chef was working his magic rolling up fresh California Rolls, Tuna Rolls, and Salmon Rolls--combine all this with fresh condiments like Cavier, ginger, and wasabi, and you've got a place that Jay Pontismelli and I pretty much stayed around all night . . .

After a few cocktails and rolls, we took advantage of dusk making its way over the water for some photos. Below, there are the Goldsmiths and the Ponticelli's (Jay and I were the only two friends that Tore invited). I'm pretty sure Jay is holding the one and only drink he had all night . . . A rare picture of my mom and I together--I say "rare" because I got to thinking--there arent many pictures of JUST my mom and I . . .

WHoops, how did that get on there? Jay and I were fighting for the attention of Mi Hyeun, I think. Either that, or we were having an animated discussion on the ramifications of "dirty weekend" (inside joke).
And finally, the three friends together. There is a picture, someplace, of me, Torey (he used to spell his name with a "Y," but then he majored in art and dropped the "Y") and Jay all standing in a circle, in our kindergarten class, at Center School in Easton. Although Jay and I might not be in as regular contact with Tore as we used to, its occasions like this that remind me that, really, nothing ever changes . . . .

We had lot of fun together growing up, whether it was playing pool in his basement, pretending to kill people in the parking lot of the South Shore Plaza and garnering the attention of the rent-a-cops there, or playing street hockey in the cul-de-sac of Rolling Pines Estates. In fact, we call this photo the "ASIAF Alumni Photo." "ASIAF" is the name of the ice rink at Brockton High School, where, almost every Friday, for a while, some combination of the three of us would go skating for a few hours . . .
Congratulations Tore and MH

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's "D.W. FIELDS PARK"!!!! not fields park.

Also, i would like to add the awesomeness of the OPEN BAR...I kind of took advantage of it...

Great wedding.

Anonymous said...

SUSHI GUY!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Its really nice that you stay in contact with your friends,maybe Torrey will give you and Jason some of all that hair he has, great looking couple, lots of luck.

Michelle Garner said...

You got some great pictures! Thanks for your message on our blog...give us a call tomorrow if you'd like to do dinner. We're both "off," but I know you guys are leaving on Thursday, so there's no hurry. Talk to you soon!