Thursday, August 7, 2008

"Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike, they've all come to look for America"





**2 extra points if you tell me which song that is . . .


Tomorrow the Goldsmiths are heading down to New Jersey for the annual trip to see the Dovey's and the Chiemiego's (Amanda's family) who live there. For those of you who dont know, Amanda is O.F.N.J (originally from NJ). This accounts for her attitude and her willingness to buy shoes at any given moment. I would by lying if I said I wasnt absolutely petrified for the trip down--not for me, but for baby Callum, who will have to sit in his confining carseat for at least 9 hours (he'll hopefully be sleeping for most of it . . . but you never know). I hate putting him in his carseat, because, if he's anything like me (and believe me . . .at 7 weeks old he shows MANY unfortunate traits of his father) he hates sitting, being confined, and being in a car. We will leave tomorrow afternoon or night, and then spend until next Saturday down in Jersey. Last year was a lot of fun, and this year should be too. None of the Jerseyans have met Callum yet; in fact, many of his family and friends have yet to meet him. I guess this is what happens when you live away. Oh well.


***


I had my first "school dream" last week--a school dream is a dream teachers usually start getting around the first week of August, and usually its a terrifying dream about how you're naked in front of a class, have NOTHING to do for material, or find yourself down the hallway from a guy like Mike Thurston . . .they really are terrible. I actually am looking forward to going back to school very much--for the TEACHING and STUDENT parts of the job. Unfortunately, with teaching, this sometimes remains a small part of being a teacher; things like NEASC, consolidation, assessment, the inability to "not" keep something in place for more than a year, new schedules, and laborious opening day power point presentations can sometimes be trying.


This will be my 8th year of teaching, and looking back, I never thought I would stick it out. I absolutely HATED my first two years of teaching, but, without sounding melodramatic, Winslow High School saved my teaching life; it gave me a whole new perspective on the craft and the profession. And it is a profession. My schedule for next year held some surprises (as our guidance dept. is very skilled at doing) but I am excited for the new class I recently found out I will be teaching: Creative Writing. It is definitely my "happening," and it is my true passion (songwriting, essays, blogging, etc.). What's funny is that, in my seven full years of teaching, I have NEVER taught the same thing two years in a row--I always have a different combination of classes. This year is no different . . .I am teaching 3 senior sections, 1 freshman section, and a combination of public speaking and creative writing (depending on the semesters). Although challenging, this really keeps me on my toes, and keeps the creative energy flowing. Four preps will be tough, but English teachers are the toughest teachers there are . . .he he


I love "hunkering down" and starting to plan all the new stuff I will do this year (or hopefully do . . .I always seem to plan more than I actually get done). I love reading new books, trying out different writing assignments, and thinking of new and innovative things to do with English (blogs and podcasts will be things I'll try to do more with this year). I'm reading a HILARIOUS book that my good friend, and token male prostitute/librarian Johnny C sent to me for my birthday. Its called I LOVE YOU BETH COOPER. I'm already looking at using it in class.


***


Callum is making leaps and bounds, and always surprising us with his latest antics. Thomas P. Cat seems to be warming up to him a little more, which we hoped would happened. In other news, Callum pooped in the tub the other night, and then gave me a winning smile (he makes a regular practice of peeing in the tub nightly). Besides feeding from his mommy, tub time is undoubtedly his favorite time of the day; he splashes and kicks like crazy (maybe he'll be a swimmer like his mom). Well, theoretically, we already KNOW he is an exemplary swimmer . . .because . . ..well, you can figure it out . . .


As of today, he weighs 12 pounds exactly, which means he's gained 4 full pounds since he was born. He'll be 8 weeks old this Saturday, although it seems like he's been around forever. He has 2 or 3 chins, and two pork roll/bologna sticks for legs. He loves to talk to his "friends" who dangle off his fun-chair, and he still loves to sleep, to music, on his daddy's shoulder. He seems to cry louder and louder each day, and he has the strange ability to "move" on his own, even though he is MONTHS away from crawling or anything like that. He went to sleep at one end of his crib the other night, and, the next morning, I found him turned, completely around, at the other end of the crib, with his face leaned up between the wooden slats. Scary. So, he sleeps in the bassinet now. He loves horseback riding, and he is looking for a meaningful relationship (friendship first!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun cleaning out Aunt June's freezer and playing that game with Miley...I forget the name....

Amanda, maybe u can slip jared a combo of alchohol and some special pills for the ride down.

I hope you stop by on the way home, we have a present for Mr. Poop.

Anonymous said...

"America" - Simon & Garfunkel...I'm just old

Anonymous said...

Thanks you Mike!

You win a week's supply of baby carrots, melba toast, and a Hannah Montana poster

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I'm lost, I said though I knew she was sleeping...