Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I must be crazy....







My late spring and summer long schedule is filling up fast with all kinds of road races, bike races, and triathlons. What am I thinking?






Remember that "Dont forget to wear sunscreen" song that was big at the end of the 90's? That guy was basically giving a commencement speech, but they set it to music and it got really popular? It has all this advice on life, and one of his precepts was to "do one thing every day that scares you." So this is my way of doing that....






On May 31, I have the Bath, Maine Y-Triathlon which I am excited for since I've been training for it since the end of the winter. It involves a swim (in a pool), a bike ride, and a run...all in that order. Hopefully there is beer at the end...



Training for this is a blast, because I find myself exhausted, and it is the best type of exhaustion! Plus, it is going to be my "Golden Birthday," where I turn 31 on the 31st....what better way to celebrate getting old than by trying to kill myself....






On June 19-21, I am going to try my hand (or more like my legs) at the "Trek Across Maine." This three day event is known nationally for the successful way it raises HORDES of money for the American Lung Association. As a cancer survivor, this is a very important cause for me; anything we can do to procure clean air, stop environmental contaminants, and help stop chronic illnesses is a cause worth riding for. And I DID end a sentence with a preposition, so deal....haha. This several hundred mile trip across Maine "from the mountains to the sea" is in fact a fundraiser, so I'll be humbly asking for donations to my cause. I'll be riding on a "team" with the assistant superintendent for Winslow, some of his kids, and some fellow WHS students. Everyone who does it says its a life changing experience.






I hope to add some more rides and runs to my summer schedule, as its a great motivating force for me! There's the "Lobster Ride and Roll" bike race, the Sea Dog mother's day 5K, and many others to choose from....






So, if you see my out on the road, looking half dead on my bike, or hunched over in pain on a run, stop and say hi! (today, in fact, I messed up big time...I took the wrong street and turned a 3 mile run into a 6 mile run....so that sucked!)






5 comments:

Callum said...

Good for you, I'm proud of you Daddy.

Sally Piles said...

I don't think you're crazy, smalls. I'm proud of you! That is one thing I admire about you - when you decide to do something, you actually follow through with it.

Good luck! Callum and I will be waiting at the finish line!

belle said...

I hope you can find some time to fit a visit to Jersey in. The crabs, beer & Chiemiego deck & pool are calling for a Goldsmith visit!

You can bring your bike and ride along the beautiful Jersey turnpike! hahaha!

jared said...

actually, i'd rather drive through the streets of germantown....that was pretty as I remember it (although i dont remember much, because i was praying that uncle bob's driving wouldnt kill grandpop and i!)

Jane said...

You should DEFINIETLY do the Lobster Ride--it's a great atmosphere of camraderie because it's not a race, the route is beautiful, and you get a lobster roll (or hotdogs if you're like me and don't like lobster) afterwards!