Monday, June 22, 2009

Trek Across Maine (Part I)

Here are some pictures from Day 2 of the "Trek." The one above is me rolling into Colby College--roughly 120 miles into the ride. I dont think anyone in their right mind took any pictures of Day1.....probably because there was absolutely nothing to celebrate!

Day 1 started at the base lodge of Sunday River ski resort in Bethel. The National Weather Service reports that the state of Maine saw 3 inches of rain on Friday (when the ride started). I'm not going to lie and say "well....we had rain, but in the end it was kind of fun!" No. Friday was probably one of the most miserable days in recent memory: The ride was about 67 miles through mountainous terrain....in the pouring rain....and my bike computer (the thing that tells average speed, distance, mph, etc) didnt work for the first 28 miles. Being wet wasnt the real issue...I can deal with that. The problem was the danger level the rain posed. Road bike tires have zero tread on them, and travelling down rolling hills (on Maine country roads with zero shoulder and broken pavement) presented a huge technical challenge for me. But, alas, Team Breezemare did stick together. We supported each other, rode together, and all made it to UMaine Farmington that afternoon. GO BREEZEMARES!

That night I came home from Farmington (about an hour away from our house), ate probably 2000 calories from Asian Cafe, "re-carbed" with some wonderful wheat beverages, and slept in a dry and comfortable bed.

Day 2 started from Farmington, Maine, and we rolled out at about 7 that morning. It was a much better day and a much easier ride (dare I even say we saw blue skies for roughly 46 seconds!). But the ride took us through beautiful towns like New Vineyard, New Portland, Anson, Embden, Madison, Norrigewock, FAIRFIELD!, and then Waterville where we ended at Colby College. This ride was beautiful because we rode through (what I think is )the most beautiful part of the state...along the Kennebec River in "real Maine" woods!

Amanda and Callum (along with the rest of the Team Breezemare "support team") were there to greet us at the finish line. At the risk of sounding too sentimental, I can't explain how wonderful it was to cross at Colby and hold Callum....I thought of him so often during the first two days, and just thinking of him doing his funny animal noises, etc. helped me so much through the tough parts. Standing beside me is the wonderful Regan Smith, one of Winslow High's finest alums. I'll get more into the team later. ....
Winslow's Finest! From left to right, we have Regan, Chris Bertolaccini (she teaches science and coaches track at WHS), some shady guy with a cute kid, and Christina Massey, a recent grad. Massey, an outstanding track athlete, had done one previous "training ride" before starting the Trek....and she did OUTSTANDING. The same goes for Regan, who has trouble with her hip. Awesome ride!
A shot Amanda took of the "bike corral" at Colby. I think there were about 2600 people who rode the Trek this year. It was amazing to see so many people come together in a celebration of bicycling and clean air....which is why I thought it so ironic (yet so appropriate) that a Winnebago towing a car behind it had the audacity to lean on the horn in frustration as it passed me up a hill. Yeah...how's that "Kountry Air" camper doing on gas mileage for ya??
Jonathan, who rode with the "Charlie's Big Wheels" team was hanging out at Colby after the day 2 ride. We walked over to visit with him and his team at their tent, and Callum had some fun with Uncle Jon.
I'll do Part II later on. I have to go clean my bike!

5 comments:

Sally Smiles said...

I can't tell how proud I felt when I saw you come around the corner at Colby on Saturday! And Sunday at Belfast was even better! You did an amazing job, Jared, and I'm so glad that Callum and I could be there to cheer you on! We love you!

Are we BOTH going to do it next year????

Nannie said...

Congratulations.

so Aisian Cafe and wheat beverages huh, is that homemade wheat beverages.

hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Callum's shorts are giving him a wedge

The Goldsmiths said...

Anonymous - why are you looking at my son's nether region? Pervert.

Ellen said...

Jared,
You are a GOD to do that trek! I thought of you so often on Friday during the torrential rain and later during the weekend and just knew that you'd finish in fine shape.

Do tell, how did you get the name for your team? It's intriguing and inquiring minds want to know.

Love the blog!
Ellen