Monday, September 23, 2013

Cultural Heroes

So I am teaching the epic poem "Beowulf" to my honors classes right now, and today I was lecturing to them on the importance and existence of 'cultural,' 'national,' and 'folk' heroes in our world. For example, I tell them, Beowulf, the man, was to those people a cultural hero who epitomized not backing down in the face of adversity and evil....he stood up to greed and oppression (even though he was a cocky jerk). I ask the kids what stories they just inherently 'know'.....without having to read or access the recesses of their mind. Obviously stories like The Boy Who Cried Wolf and Three Little Pigs surface for them, as they are stories that they know by heart, and stories that teach good moral lessons about lying, being prepared, and never undertaking a construction project without your Massachusetts Builder's License.

These type of stories affirm our humanity and our values and our cultural norms, as we discuss, and I encourage them to look no further than 'tales' their parents might tell from their own groups or families that might have some 'educational value.'

I was reminded of, and then later shared, some of these stories from my OWN childhood. And it is funny how when kids hear stuff that "I" was told as a kid, they think it was so awful and terrible and monstrous--which speaks volumes about the liberalistic 'softening' of our culture. Kids could DO with a little scare tactics....haha For example, I remember my mom telling me all the time that if I wasnt good she was gonna sell me to the Indians. Looking back, that is hilarious! I love it! But the one that really stands out is the 'boy from Southie.'

I have always been a little grey on this, and maybe someone like my mom and Aunt Patty (who reads this blog) can help me out. My mom always told us of this 'statue' in South Boston that existed of a little boy who, one day, got so mad at his mom that he went to hit her. When he did that, God IMMEDIATELY turned him to stone, as punishment for trying to assault his parent. Now, truth be told, I have NEVER seen this statue. But.....as a kid....and a very impressionable kid...I remember being very scared of that story because, like most kids my age, I did not want to be turned to stone. I HAVE HEARD that this statue in Southie does in fact exist...but, rather, it is a little boy 'looking' out to sea for his fisherman father, who never returned. It is supposedly some memorial to those Irish fishermen lost at sea or something, and the boy had his hand up by his head as he gazed out on the horizon. I dont  know if any of this is true. And I am sure I will never find out, as Irish mothers probably guard these secrets like the Knights Templar guard the Holy Grail....

Paul Bunyan. Davy Crockett. Jim Bowie. Johnny Appleseed. Ethan Allan. John Henry...The insurance agency Indian chief logo guy my mom would sell me to. All these stories. All these legends. All these cultural heroes that teach us lessons and affirm our 'Americanism.' Can you think of any others?

No comments: