Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Drywall, Wet Grass, and Ferret Freaks




We got some much needed rain today . . .it was humid and muggy out though, which I hate. Today both of us overslept because the alarm didn't go off, plus we had the air conditioner on, which meant we had to close our door, which meant that Thomas couldn't come in and wake us up as usual (he gets his medicine . . .and then treats . . .at 6:30 every morning).


My colleague and friend Karl "Senor" Andresen came over this morning, and we got set to work sheetrocking the new room. If you are good at geometry, like jigsaw puzzles, and enjoy being covered in a fine white anthrax-like powder all day, then drywall might be for you!


I enjoy very much working with Senor, as he is both very patient, and a great teacher--not to mention he is an artist with sheetrock and "mud." When Violette Hardware Store down the street didn't have the right bit I needed for my drill, Andy, the manager, let me borrow the company's very own drywall drill, citing the "good neighbor policy." That is one of the many reasons we enjoy living in Maine so much--where else would a construction company let you borrow their own tools for free when they could try to sell you something else.


The sheetrock is all hung, and tomorrow will be a mudding and taping day. This little room is keeping me busy this summer, that's for sure. Thomas was kind of a pain the butt today though, as he was in and out like a fiddler's elbow (props to Nana Courtney for that one) and was constantly trekking fine white dust into the house. However, as you can see from the photo, he has found a new favorite space in the garage, where he can dream about paddling the mighty Kennebec . . .


On a final, bizarre note, Amanda and I watched tonight this program on PBS about Ferrets and Ferret owners. These people are not right!! I can't write it to explain it and do it justice, but you have to understand these eccentric individuals, who may have 20 ferrets at once--they are obsessed. One woman "kicked" her family out of the first floor of their house, and moved everything upstairs, so she could let her little ferrets have the first floor. We can't see the logic in owning 20 + things that thrive on getting into your crap and exploring the nooks and crevices of your house and crawl around in heating ducts and the like. These things are essentially rodents, aren't they? One of the weirdos spends her time producing records featuring ferret songs she's written, and another idiot teaches her ferrets sign language. I wonder is she realizes FERRETS DONT HAVE HANDS.


If you are dropping by to read this, please leave a comment and say hi . . .we want to know who checks out this blog. Please bring a canned good and post that too . . .it goes to a needy ferret owner

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like the ferrits,,,,, i would rather see pictures of you guys.

Mum.......

Anonymous said...

I saw previews for the feret show while watching tv with my special lady friend (Big Lebowski anyone?). This kooky chick and her whipped husband were tossing a varmint up and down on a bed sheet like it was parachute day in 3rd grade gym class. My bizarre and obssesive mind always likes to take it a step further and picture things like this in another context. Can you image having the cubicle next to this woman at work? What about being on a weekend softball team with the guy and hearing him explain this?

Anyway, I read the blog all the time now that I've discovered it and think it's a great way to keep up with two of the nicest people I've ever met. Probably a little weird that I'm interested in whether your alarm clock works or whatever other details you're inclined to share, but in some ways it's no different than rehashing your day over dinner or at the pub with friends. Cheers!

Unknown said...

I think ferrets were once illegal in Mass, and once they were "emancipated" people went nuts with them. My college ex Dani's roommate had 3 of them and she sucked. So all ferrets suck by default in my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jared. I enjoyed hearing about all that hung sheetrock and your patient friend. I hope you will be taping next time and send me a copy.

deanna said...

I JUST CAUGHT THE PBS 'SPECIAL' ABOUT FERRETS...AND I THREW UP FROM LAUGHING SOOOOO HARD!!!!!!! i am so happy to find someone to share this experience with...the icing on the cake was the song that the lady sung at the end!!! 'Ferret, oh Ferret...gatherer of stuff....Ferret, oh Ferret when will you have enough?!!!' I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

They smell something aweful.