Thursday, July 26, 2007

I Hate The Summer




We both do actually. We hate the summer weather. I cannot stand the heat. I love the winter and can't wait until we have three feet of snow and minus zero temps. I dont know why, we just like that better. . . .


Today being so hot, I decided to work out early this morning. Did you ever notice that when you WORK OUT, it is two words, but if you refer to it as a noun, it is one word? Today I am going to WORK OUT on the bike. Yes, I had a terrific WORKOUT this morning. I think about these things.


Anyway, I biked about 16 miles this morning, through the backcountry of Winslow and Benton, and I stopped at Krazy Karl's house to say hi and get some cold water. We walked around in his terrific garden, and then strolled down to the banks of the Sebasticook (he has a beautiful piece of property). Since he helped me so much with the sheetrocking, I am going to help him repair the steps that go down the steep bank to the river's edge. This will make a better canoe and kayak launch . . . .


Two funny things happened today:


1. I saw a hitchhiker get picked up for the first time ever (I saw it happen for this first time . . .I don't know if it was the hitchhikers first time getting picked up . . .here I go again with the dangling modifiers! Yeay grammar). Anyway, it was classic 50's movie style. Guy walking shirtless, smoking a cigarette, wearing blue jeans. Farmer in red Chevy pickup truck pulling a hay baler pulls up beside him. He says "where ya' goin' son?" The shirtless man replies, "well, I need to get to Vassalboro, but I'll take whatever I can get sir." "Okay . . .suits me fine (he really said that!) Get in." I wonder if one of those men is dead now . . . .


2. I went to the Hannaford to cash in our change at the Coinstar machine. For those not familiar with the machine, you dump your change in, it sorts it all for you, adds it up, and gives you a voucher to use at one of the cash register lines. Coinstar keeps a commission of 8 cents per dollar, which is fine so long as I dont have to roll anything. We had about $44.00 in change, and when the lady behind the register gave me my cash, she handed me two 20's, two singles, and then stated, "I'm out of singles . . .do you mind two dollars in quarters?" So I got change in exchange for the change I just cashed in. I thought that was cutely ironic. Do you?


From there, off to the Hargroves, for a quick dip with my favorite liberal, Jesse the body Hargrove. It was great to see Jesse and Ciara, and we got to catch up for a bit while lounging in the pool


Smiggles McPiggles and her little dog wiggles (Sally Piles' nickname du jour) and I went to Readfield to dine with G-mom, G-pop, Lynne, George, Sport Jonathan, and Melsie tonight. We finally got to show people our vacation pictures, as well as the ones from CT. Now we are packing, as tomorrow morning, we head down to Boston with Mandy, Tony, and baby Griffin for a weekend in the city. Maybe some swan boats . . .maybe Curious George bookstore . . .maybe aQUEERium . . .maybe a love fest with Tony in the Back Bay. Only time will tell. See you on Sunday . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm...favorite liberal?

Anonymous said...

You must take after your mother, she hates the heat too...

Anonymous said...

i hate summer too! i want it nose-hair-freezing cold. and snow up to hank's grundle. tell us more about packing!