Monday, July 2, 2007

Jared's Random Meanderings


1. Why does it seem like small Asian men and women are so good at eating? Aren't they are always winning the consumption contests for hot dogs, pies, eggs, and more? And they are so small. What is about their genetic makeup that makes them so conducive to gluttony? To add insult to injury, all the fat guys are seemingly terrible at these eating contests; they probably think they are hot you-know-what strutting up there to the stage, thinking they've got this contest in the bag. Its kind of sad actually--the one sport they have a shot at being actually good at, and some little Asian comes by and humbles them. I dont know what is sadder--this, or the fact that in our culture, this type of activity is considered a sport


2. Life got less fun for me immediately after my mom/aunt/nana/token corpulent lady at family party could no longer say "its okay for him to eat it . . .he's a growing boy." Jeez, was it great to be "growing."


3. Has anyone ever thought of where we get "OKAY" from? I have often wondered about such widely accepted conversational idioms such as this, and "get used to it." But let's think about OKAY or O.K., as its commonly known. Do the O and the K stand for something? Does anyone know? And why are people so lazy that they cannot write the whole word? They have to abbreviate it, and use periods even? Weird.


4. I'm sick of guys with loud Australian accents yelling at me on commercials. Stop it! I don't even know you, and you have no idea how dirty my house or clothes are, or how frustrating it is for me to chop an onion.


5. What ever happened to Neopolitan Ice Cream? They seemed to have a pretty good thing going. It was fun for everyone--three delicious flavors from which to choose . . . an honest attempt to please different people . . .a great introduction to an ADD culture. Two weeks after opening the half gallon, all that would be left would be the strawberry section . . .

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OK comes from the Greek "Ola Kala" which means "All is good"

Of course, www.urbandictionary.com has some other suggestions as well. That site is a Mecca for all vocab buffs.

Anonymous said...

Todays blog was OK,Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow...my blog is titled "Random Digressions"...but I may will the name to you. I am hiking Saddleback on Thursday if you are interested. Give me a call. The number is in the book under my wife's name.

Anonymous said...

O.K. came from Old Kinderhook, which was a nickname of Martin Van Buren, the 8th President of the United States. You see he was from Kinderhook, New York. Sorry Timmy Cox