Sunday, July 29, 2007

Highway 93 Revisited . . .






As a young man, during my high school years and my early college breaks, my summers and weekends would be filled with trips into Braintree and Boston, to roam the streets of Harvard Square, Downtown Crossing, and Newbury Street, and peruse the shelves of Barnes and Noble and Newbury Comics. Usually accompanied by the Reverend Johnny Crockett, Pontocekki, and the Greek, these were some memorable times for sure.


This weekend, I had the chance to revisit these old haunts of mine, this time accompanied by my lovely wife (with whom I have been to Boston many times) and our dear friends the Pelottes. Amanda and I, along with Mandy, Tony, and Griffin, stayed in Braintree at a really great Marriot on the Wood Road right next to Konidor Meister Pastry Shop (where birthday cakes cost 100 dollars PLUS) and definitely had time for some great pool lounging and hot-tub marinating.


We took the red line into Harvard Square and checked out Amanda and I's favorite bookstore--The Curious George Bookstore. We could literally stay hours in there, just checking out YA fiction, picture books, graphic novels, and cool toys and puzzles; it really is an unusually original and imaginative place. Next was lunch at the always fantastic Border Cafe--for my money the best Mexican Food you can find around these parts (at this point, I dont even count Craparitas as Mexican Food . . .but rather McDonalds with red sauce poured all over it) Personally, I have fond memories of this Border Cafe, as I have been there a couple of times with my mom and sister during the late summer before school and football started. Plus, it was the site of an early date between me and my then hot girlfriend Amanda (there I go with the misplaced modifier again . . .you figure it out . . .) This restaurant makes EVERYTHING homemade . . .even the tortilla chips are hand cut and fried fresh. In addition, the salsa is made fresh in house in a 40 gallon plastic trash barrel where ingredients are added, and then "pureed" with a boat oar. Amanda and I have seen this firsthand. . . .


Tony and I had took some time Saturday night to perform a ritual I know all too well: Newbury Comics and Barnes and Noble. Where else can you get 3 CDs, 2 five-disc compilations, and 2 DVDs for 33 bucks? Well Tony P. did it!! I was excited to discover a new band called "Maserati," who are an instrumental band from Georgia. Their music was awesome and you'll hear the full album review soon . . .


Today, we left the hotel after checkout and parked at Quincy Market so Mandy and Tony could take the Griffin to the Aquarium. While they were inside, Amanda and I mosied over to the Seal tank and discussed how it could be possible for us to keep a seal as a pet (Thomas is part seal you know). Then, we hit St. Arbucks for some iced tea and coffee, and found a cool spot in Christopher Columbus Park where we sat and read our books for an hour or so. Before we hit Route 93 North, our time in Boston was closed by a short walk into the North End and a visit to the ever popular Mike's Pastry for the ladies to enjoy some creamy cannolis.


We've gotten to travel quite a bit this summer--we feel very fortunate--and we still have a week in New Jersey to go! We love coming home to see our little guy Thomas P, whom was so well taken care of by little Jackson across the street while we were away.


Oh, I almost forgot, Amanda got me a really great Guinness pint glass with all Gaelic writing on it, and I got her some beautiful stationery at Bob Slate Stationer on Church Street in Harvard Square--this is the coolest stationery store I have ever seen . . .actually, its the only one I have ever seen. How cool can a stationer be?


A great trip with great friends. I hope Sally and I get to go with Mom to Border Cafe soon . . .I just love Harvard Square . . .especially with family and friends. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am off to try to get the "Fisher Price Learning Favorites" out of my head--but only because Amanda tells me too; I think "the ants go marching" and "I'm a little acorn" and "I like to eat, eat, eat, eeples and baneenies" are great songs--for little Griffin AND for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There used to be a Mexican place called Alcopoclos (sp) on Newberry St. that was really good. Especially eating out on the street. Is it still there?

Anonymous said...

I love going to border cafe myself, maybe we can get there again one day.. but not on a hot day in the city. sounds like you had a good time, you certainly are doing a lot of traeling this summer arn't you, quite lucky.....

mum.

Anonymous said...

I think Twon would really like the border cafe, he has never been. You should come back this weekend and go with us. YES YES?

Anonymous said...

I live within 10 minutes of 2 different Acapolco's. loveit!