Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The "Amanda Interiors" Inc.






Amanda is so good at decorating for the holidays. On Sunday, even though she wasnt feeling well, she got all the boxes of holiday crap and started going to town on the mofo house. The only things not done yet are the tree (we will do this next Friday before our party) and the outside lights (we will do those this weekend). Amanda really knows how to bring out the "charm" of our house, and she does very well at the Christmas scenes. My favorite things are our Nutcrackers--these used to be Amanda's, but then she married me and they became ours. Some of them are very valuable originals from Germany, and when I went to buy her one last year for Christmas, I was shocked to see how much they were. So she got scratch tickets instead. Just kidding.


Our little ceramic tree is a family heirloom, I guess you could say. My mom made it in ceramics class when I was still a baby. I used to love it when I was a kid, and now we have it. Is it just me, or did every mom, from between the years of 1977 and 1982 take ceramics class? Do they still offer it?


We have handmade MERRY CHRISTMAS blocks and a little snowman family made by Ensign Bucky Walters (grandpop) that we put out. These, too, are a tradition, since he makes them for all his grandkids and kids.


I feel very blessed to have been brought up Christian, yet still honor and respect the Jewish holidays--my Dad is Jewish so this was a bonus. A few years ago, we received this beautiful Menorah from Dad, and its funny, because, when we are in the midst of Hanukkah, Amanda asks "hon are we doin' Hanukkah tonight?" Like its the dishes. Obviously, she does not understand the struggles of my people. For, every day is Hanukkah to us half Jews


Check out our manger scene. One of Amanda's roommates in college was named Zeke. This was short for Andrea. She didnt own any shoes; she wore either Tevas or rollerblades around campus. Anyway, her father is a harrier, which is a fancy name for someone who makes horseshoes and horse stuff like that. Anyway, for a wedding gift, we were given a manger scene with characters made completely out of horse tack-nails. There has to be a pun there someplace.


Soon we'll put the tree up and I cannot wait. It will be great to get all the ornaments out, argue about where to put them, and vacuum up ubiquitous spruce needles from the floor. Are you a real tree person, or are you lame? We are real tree people. It smells great, and supports the Maine economy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cha cha says

I like to see things past down for my kids to use to for the holidays, i might even have an extra peice of my snow, if you want it for underneath the tree,,,,, if youlook at the bottom parts of t he tree you will see my name and date. and ys every mother went to ceremacis in those days.....

Anonymous said...

cha cha says

I like to see things past down for my kids to use to for the holidays, i might even have an extra peice of my snow, if you want it for underneath the tree,,,,, if youlook at the bottom parts of t he tree you will see my name and date. and ys every mother went to ceremacis in those days.....

Belle said...

I put my snowman family out and Merry Christmas blocks specially made by Bucky Walters last weekend after our Maine vacation adventure.

I love the ceramic Christmas tree Cha Cha made, it reminds me of my childhood Christmas' because like you said I think everyone in the late 70's early 80's had one.

We are real tree people but will not be getting our tree as early as you. Living in New Jersey with the warmer weather we like to wait until it's closer to the holiday so our tree has some needles left on Christmas day.

Your house looks beautiful and very festive! You did a wonderful job Panda! Glad to see you also included some of Jared's Jewish traditions.

Anonymous said...

Happy Hanukkah excuse me while I let Tiny Tim stroke the goose, OY VEY!!!!!!