Sunday, November 11, 2007

Moxie Falls






Jonathan and Mel came by early Saturday morning to join us on a nice day trip up north a bit to The Forks. "The Forks" is the name of a town in Maine, named so because it is the place where the Kennebec and Dead Rivers join--it is prime whitewater rafting country. I love going up there--and its only about an hour from our home on Fairfield. It truly gives you a different perspective of the Kennebec River, as I've mentioned before.


Our first stop was the Northern Outdoors Camp, and I showed everyone where "Raider Society 07" took place--we even took a drive into the very campsite. They loved it and look forward to camping there this summer. From there, drove a bit father north to The Forks "proper," and took a right onto Lake Moxie Road--en route to Moxie Falls. Moxie Falls is an amazing place to go and explore, and I would have had more fun if I was at full strength with my ankle and all--it was difficult to do any walking, and I took it REAL slow.


Moxie Falls was one of our first dates when Amanda and I were first together--it combines beautiful, strong waterfalls with quiet, secluded granite floored pools in which to swim or just sit and bask in the quiet, sun-warmed water. There are even spots where one can go and sit "behind" a waterfall and pretend you are either Elizabeth Shue or Tom Cruise in "Cocktail." (I always pretended I was Shue, so I could make out with Tom Cruise . . .he's so handsome . . . ). But I digress . . . .


We took lots of pictures, and even a couple of movies. I'll try and post the movies. It was so cold yesterday that the mist from the waterfalls rose up and created "rime ice" on some of the tree branches. Pretty neat. We'd like to return in the summer, when the water is isnt quite as fast (we've had a ton of rain lately) and a little warmer, so we can play Tom Cruise again.


After Moxie, we headed up north a bit farther so I could take a picture of "The Enchanted." I did this mostly for my dad, who, like me, is in awe of the fact of what "The Enchanted" actually is. The Enchanted is a camp/guide service/strip club up in the middle of East Bum, Maine. My dad and I often discuss how, although we are not the strip club type, we'd like to visit the establishment to see just what types of "women" they get to strip in The Forks. Anyway, there is a picture of it--as you can see, it doesnt look like a strip club . . .it looks like a grandmother's house.


Lunch was at Northern Outdoors, as I mentioned before. Northern Outdoors is an awesome "north woods camp" that really lets its guest rough it by providing outdoor hot tubs, an arcade, a pool, an indoor tennis court, and more. Seriously though, it is a really great place to go and visit, camp, raft, snowmobile, or hunt. Oh, and its also a microbrewery--Kennebec River Brewing Company. I tried the Loggerhead Lager, and Sport Jonathan tried the Magic Hole IPA. Excellent beer . . .in fact, Loggerhead might be one of my top three beers now. Look for it.


FINALLY . . .we got home and I made a nice roaring fire for Thomas and Mel. I got my famous (according to Mel) split pea soup and ham going. Sally talked to Aunt June, her mom, and grandmom. Jon and I took a ride to Joka's to pick up some fresh beer. Then, we ended a great day by watching White Christmas (Amanda's ALL TIME favorite movie). This was the first viewing, and I'm sure we'll watch 2 or 3 more times before the actual holiday (I know we'll do it down in CT next week for Thanksgiving, as Kris has never seen it, and Twon loves musicals--particularly RENT).


A good day we had! We look forward to the winter, when the Goldsmiths, Melathans, and KRanthonys may start a new tradition of a ski trip--I can't wait to take Twon on the black diamond trails of Sunday River . . . I love teaching people how to ski, and I think he's ready to learn

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey that volvo looks familiar! Oh wait, it's the same car every mom in Easton had circa 1992!

Anonymous said...

A really nice blog, the pictures are beautifull. I enjoy these type of blogs, not the ones where I have to get out the dictionary to try to understand you. Love

Anonymous said...

Donde esta el picturo del STRIP CLUB?!?!

Also I believe that is the same volvo Jana Regan had.

Anonymous said...

Cha Cha says, when did you learn to ski.. was it when you took ice skating lessons in Brockton....

I hope the Ski Trip has a nice hotel, fireplace, bar, etc. becasue that is the only kind of ski trip i think would work for all of you together.

SKI MY &*(&*(&((!!!!!!

NIce photos though!!!!!!

PS. Why doesn't Amanda knit you a good winter hat??????????

Anonymous said...

Yes I think Anthony would love for you to teach him how to ski....if by ski you mean show Anthony how to take off his skis and walk down the mountain swearing. Then show him how to go to the ER with a sprained thumb....

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel, whats with the Green Bay hat, this is Patriots country.

Anonymous said...

wow, I got my name mentioned!

Anonymous said...

Tom Brady - I realize this is Patriots country, however that was the only hat available for me to use! haha

Jared had brought an extra hat along and let me borrow it