Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! As I am writing this, it is Friday (yesterday was much to busy to blog) and Kris, Anthony, and Sally are putting up the Favry Christmas tree. Chelsea is asleep at my feet and Thomas is asleep on the couch in the living room, basking in the sunshine. The "XM Pops" channel is broadcasting beautiful sacred choral and classical Christmas music, and we are all pleasantly full on a beauteous Thanksgiving dinner from yesterday, as well as the breakfast from which we just returned (its a tradition each year that Ortiz takes everyone out for breakfast on the Friday after Thanksgiving). There are just so many "stories" to report on from the holiday that I just couldnt possibly include them all. Let's see . . .

We made pretty good time on Wednesday's drive, arriving in Ledyard around quarter to 8. Amanda the Panda made her Panda Pumpkin Pie (see pic) while Twon concocted some delicious adult egg nog beverages for the two of us. Amanda and Kristin were mature (as usual) while Anthony and I got silly. So, we did the natural thing . . .we listened to some New Kids on the Block that I downloaded for Amanda on our iPod



Everyone seems to have their "signature dish." For me, its my "Kemish beans," for Sally its her desserts and baking, and for Anthony, its his amazingly decadent stuffed mushrooms. I have tried to replicate the recipe several times, but I cannot come close. Delicious Anthony . . .thank God you made them, or Ortiz would have stayed home! Anthony made a 26 pound turkey, which he brines in his special marinade. The only unfortunate part about it was that we were so full on delicious appetizers like stuffed shrooms, Joanne's pepperoni bread, cheese, crackers, and Honey Dew donuts that I wasnt as hungry as I should have been for the turkey and fixings. But I came through as I always do. And so did Panda Pie. Ortiz did the honor of carving the turkey, and even though he yelled at me because I asked him a question while he carved, we made up later by exchanging big hugs . . .ha ha. One of the other yearly traditions (is that redundant?) is that I "dispose" of the carcass by throwing out in the woods in back of their house. Happy Thanksgiving raccoon family!



It was great so see everyone we dont usually get to see. The ladies and Richie enjoyed dinner at one table, and I came over to ask them if anything was okay. Get it?

The men, surprisingly enough, sat in front of the TV to watch the game while they ate. Sally and I sat at the kids table with Kelly, Tina, Kevin, my dad, and Justin for 34 seconds. One other Thanksgiving tradition is the yearly playing of the game TABOO with Ortiz. He is a magician at the game, in the truest sense of the word, giving clues like "movie stars" and "WHAT??? WHAT???" for phrases like "breast implants." Also, he is rhetorical genius, supplying golden hints like "plants!" and " MAKE IT MAKE IT!!!" for "soil." Last night's hit, of course, was the clue (the only clue) he gave for "Whitney Houston." If I remember correctly, it was "okay . . .she is married to that black jerk from Dorchester." I can't believe I didnt get the answer Dad!

I hope everyone had a terrific day, and we'll be on location more. Look soon for a fresh new video of the cousins fighting each other!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its was a lot of fun, I look forward to it! The mushrooms were deliscious as usual, along with everything else. The only proplem was that there was not enough deserts. Only kiddind, there was enough to feed the town of Ledyard. Oh yes, Jared had to force himself to eat diner, if you can believe that!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I was there too by the way, you wouldn't know it since I don't exist on any pictures and my name isn't mentioned anywhere.

I did make my cheesey potatoes, its also a tradition that Stewie fries them up for us for breakfast on Sunday.

We are gonna go for a little hike walk now, jared will probably blog as that is what he has been doing all day oh ya and he just had some mushrooms.

Anonymous said...

oh I love Anthony's stuffed mushrooms!! even though I think I've only had them once, they are delicious. Glad to hear you guys had a great Thanksgiving! we had fun too, at the Walter's!

Belle said...

Hey Mel!

You fogot to mention how we had a WONDERFUL meal at Craparitas last night!