Monday, March 16, 2009

Lucky Leprechaun 5K in Rockland

This past Saturday, I ran my first 5K....the first of many, I am sure, because I had a blast. My time was nothing to write home about, but I could care less. I was just happy to be out with friends and family, on the ocean, supporting a good cause, and enjoying an early spring day. And I love the thought of training for other races (including my triathalon) and constantly improving. Good stuff. The race was at 11, and Amanda, Callum, and I followed the Reynolds to Mark's house in downtown Rockland. Rockland, for you Connectimassajeryans reading this, is just south of Camden....its right on the coast. A beautiful little downtown.

It was a "leprechaun" theme, so obviously I had to don my Guinness shirt. That reminds me of the "Guinness curse," which I am sure would make a good story for another blog sometime. But I digress. Eric's friend Mark (and Mark's cousin Todd) also ran the race. Everyone was decked out in green regalia. But there were no ladies going "erin go braless." Yeah. Here we are before the run started. Although a nice spring day later in the afternoon, the morning was quite nippy...especially on the water.
The wind was even enough to take the little guy's breath away, as you can see below. But he was SUCH a good boy, cheering his daddy on the whole time. Or he slept. I can't remember....I was running.
Here we are...."the elite." Haha... From left to right we have Toddy, Mark, Dinkus, and Eric. I dont want to embarrass Eric, but he ran a hell of a race. Great time, Eric! (he used 'roids)
Here I am coming along the final stretch....I was pretty tired. It was supposed to be a flat course, but I found that it was a lot of uphill terrain....but maybe it just seemed that way to me because I was pushing along. (Note the irony of the street sign...we're on the coast of Maine, yet there is "Pacific Street" right above me?????). It should also be noted that the only reason I look like I am working is because someone was holding a green beer for me at the finish line. Just kidding.






And here's the trophy I got after the race!
Like I said, it was so much fun to do this. Eric and I were already talking about next year and how it would be so neat to push the little ones in strollers (a lot of parents were pushing their kids along as they ran).
After the run, we changed up and had lunch at "The Boathouse," which was a restaurant in a gorgeous spot overlooking the harbor. Even though they are the first restaurant I've ever heard of that doesnt have highchairs, it was still great to have a good burger, and spend time with friends.
Up here in Maine, it seems like spring is working its way in....are we really done with the snow? Will I be stoned to death if I say I really hope we get one more good storm? Sorry....its just that right now everything looks so drab and gross....like two week old lentil soup that you reluctantly throw out to make more room in the fridge. So there.



7 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Congrats, Jared, on running your first 5k! Your pictures are great, and I'm sure you'll only get better with every race. We had a great visit with you guys on Saturday night and look forward to doing it again sometime...now that I think about it, we should do breakfast - we always do dinner. Hmmm...

Hi Amanda, Callum, and Siegfried!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Jared! Poor Callum's nose looks cold. Looks like a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, Jared! Callum and I were so excited to be waiting at the finish line for you - you did a GREAT job and we can't wait to cheer you on at the next race!

We love you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jared!

I just love the pictures of Callum (sorry Jared, no I'm not digging the picture of you and your friends sexy legs!)! He is so cute!!!!I'm hoping I can see him soon.

How is the new family member?

Anonymous said...

you got the best prize of all waiting at the finish line....

I am also running a marathon this year....

Lisa said...

Great job Jared! Brings a tear to my eye and many happy memories of OA track!
Best of luck with your new hobby and congrats on the addition to your family!
Lisa (Macuch) Clarke

Hitman said...

I wish I could've seen you dragging that oxygen tank behind you...