Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Siegfried at home, running leprachauns, and more

So Saint Patrick's day is coming up next week! Yippee! The one day of the year when

a. EVERYONE wants to be/thinks they are Irish. Well, you are not. And I am. So go make a Toutiere pie or something.....haha

b. It is PERFECTLY acceptable....even encouraged....to completely caricature a whole ethnicity of people as small, drunk, red little men. And even though that may be true.....(haha)

Luckily, we Irish can handle it....we just have another beer and its all good. But I'd like to see if, for a Polish Patron Saint's holiday, they had shirts with little perplexed individuals struggling to change a lightbulb. Or, for the Puerto Rican festival of the Saint Maria Conchita, if folks put up decorations of fancily decorated 1989 Toyota Celicas on cinder blocks in unmowed yards. I wonder if THAT would be okay.....

Even though I am 50% Irish, I have never really embraced the whole St Patrick's Day (it is not St PADDY'S day....) "thing." Oh well. I am proud of my heritage, and I guess I show that by my tweed blazers and Irish knit hats. One thing I have never ever consumed is: However, I will definitely be enjoying some green beer on Saturday, at the finish line of my very first 5K run. Eric and I are running the "Lucky Leprechaun 5K" this Saturday morning. It takes place in Rockland, right on the coast right above Camden. After the race there will be green beer and Irish Stew. Bring it on.

I havent told anyone yet, but I am training for my first triathlon--to be run on May 31st...which is my birthday. This will be my "golden birthday" (I will be 31 on the 31st), and I figured: What better way to celebrate than compete in a triathlon. Eric and I made the decision to run several races this season (this Saturday's is a pretty early one) to get in shape for bigger races. I just figured it is something where I can have a goal, and train to REACH that goal. It will benefit me both physically and mentally. Furthermore, I really want to participate in races, rides, and runs that benefit causes dear to my heart---like cancer and MS. I figure: If I can do it...I can help people. So that is my new "thing."

But I am REALLY gearing up for the "Michael Scott Dunder Mifflin first annual 5K Rabies Awareness (pro am) fun run.....for the cure."

Siegfried is adapting well. He slept behind the futon for most of the day (Amanda was working from home today). He finally came out around dinner time to visit with us, and he's been out and about for the whole night thus far. He definitely is a WICKED mellow little guy--as I mentioned yesterday. I thought Thomas was pretty sedentary....jeesh. Right now he's lying in the green recliner in the den downstairs. As you can see, little Callum LOVES his new friend....and Sig doesnt seem to mind the attention....

Look at that little smile! Callum can't take his eyes off his new pet.



And here, everyone poses for the camera. Siegfried has really interesting eyes, and they dont come out very well with our camera. I have to say that Callum REALLY looks like me in this picture below. Look at those little pork-chop calves of his....
I bring Siegfried for his first vet appointment tomorrow at 345. There are a few peculiar things about him. First of all, he kind of still smells....but I think that is still the shelter smell thing. Second, he's kind of clumsy, and seems to have trouble walking downstairs (it looks like he falls and stuff). He's only 3, so I doubt there is anything "old" and not working right. Again, he's looking forward to meeting everyone.

























































8 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Welcome home, Siegfried! You're going to love your new parents!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for those pictures, Jared. I like them, but I must say that my hair looks terrible... Usually I actually shower and get dressed when I work from home, but as luck would have it I didn't this time. Figures it would be the time that we take some family pictures...

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of Callum smiling with Siegfried, Jared he looks just like you. Good luck on your race.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Callum is sooo.....cute! I can't wait to see him, whenever that will be. Hopefully I wont have to wait untill Thanksgiving. I just love your new addition too! He's so cute (not as cute as Callum though or you too Jared, hahaha).

Let us all know how he makes out after his vet appt.

Anonymous said...

Callum is adorable and I love him to death, the cat, not too impressed with, but you know me and cats.

Why don't you try giving the kitty cat a bath????

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of Siegfried! what a nice little addition to your family! And of course I love the pictures with Face because I can't stand how cute he is!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, Love the pictures! You have two adorable little boys LOL
Amanda, I think your hair looks just fine.

Lisa/knitnzu said...

Siegfried is a handsome boy! You NEVER had green beer? Really? I used to tell my Italian cousing that I missed being Irish by a day (my birthday is the 18th) and she'd tell me I missed being Italian by a day (St. Joseph's day is the 19th). Hi and love to Amanda! Hugs to Callum!