Wednesday, February 13, 2008

5th Snow Day



That's right. Number 5 for me this year. Actually, Amanda was home with me today as well, since the state government offices were closed. It was a pretty bad storm actually--we probably had close to a foot of snow before it changed over to sleet and ice at around 11. Then it rained and everything froze up, causing some of our power lines to fall this evening. We were without power for a couple of hours or so, but what was really scary was seeing all the sparks and bright blue flashes of light that ensued when the lines fell. The CMP guys were right in front of our house for a while, and it was neat watching them work. They went right up in their little cherry-picker bucket and graciously "pruned" our next door neighbors overgrown Maple.

Other than this evening's action, Amanda watched some NCIS and about half of "Schindler's List" (we'll watch the rest tomorrow). Suprisingly, Amanda had never seen the film before, and even though she is pretty sensitive to violence, she agrees it is an important film to see. I remember when my Dad took me to see it in the theater when it was first out--after we sat down, about 5 old yentas, clad in blu-blocker sunglasses and day-glo, came waltzing in, arguing about who paid more at their Chinese food luncheon that afternoon. My dad had a good line: "Jared, do you know why all those women's husbands died before they their wives?" I replied that I didnt know. "Because they WANTED TO."

Probably true.

I cooked dinner on the wood stove tonight, Amanda baked delicious chocolate chip cookies (her specialty), and we explored some wicked cool podcasts that iTunes has to offer. Only two more days 'til vacation.

Oh, and before I forget, let me provide the "comment" my mom would have made--if she still left comments on our blog . . .

"Cha Cha says: OH MY STARS, why do you put pictures of you with
the snowblower??? You could kill yourself with those things if you
arent careful . . . why do you PUT those things on the blog
it makes me very upset and nervous . . .BE CAREFUL!!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We bought a snowblower 3 years ago and only used it once. It now just sits in the shed. I guess we should move to Maine and then maybe we'd get to use it :)

Anonymous said...

Your mom says those things because she loves you.

Anonymous said...

You look good with the snowblower, so much for" I like to shovel"

Anonymous said...

At least your mom loves you...I am an orphan

Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds like a smart woman!

Anonymous said...

You could tell your mom that more people die shoveling then using the snowblower.

Anonymous said...

You can keep the snow up in Maine. Pitchers and catchers reported today, so it's time to think about Spring anyway!!!!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a global warming Maine winter to me.
After I bought our snowblower we did not get any big snow storms except one 34" back in 1997.

I like the fact you get the snow we get the rain.

Happy Valentine's Day

Anonymous said...

i should point out that we in fact do not own a snowblower. cindy and dana next door were letting us use theirs. i could have had one for half price from the previous owner of this house, but i declined. i do enjoy shoveling . . .but enough is enough . . .

Anonymous said...

I have to agree...I'm more than a little sick of shoveling. Lucky you!

Anonymous said...

that's for you. I'm a old a man. I need the one for ride.

Anonymous said...

You're all talk. Get a snowblower-You are not a hero.

Anonymous said...

that's not what your mom said last night . . .