Saturday, February 16, 2008

Train Show!


I love trains--model railroads, real trains, pictures of trains, etc. I wish I could get disciplined enough to set up my layout in the basement--I have all the stuff, since a few Christmases ago Amanda bought it all for me. I am sure I will have plenty of time to do that this summer . . .there really isnt anything else going on that I can think of . . .

Amanda suprised me today with a trip to the train/dollhouse show at the Augusta state armory. It was so much fun (and sensory overload) to see all the layouts, engines, and even dollhouse stuff. I was never one to play with dollhouses, but a lot of the stuff is antique, and I think its pretty cool. What was the best was seeing little kids (like 5 or 6) and old guys (like 70 or 80) all engrossed and enchanted by the same things: trains. I know trains were so popular when my dad was a kid, but it seems like today they have been replaced by video games and other electronics. If there were two things I'd like to see "stay," they would be both the popularity of model railroads and board games. We just need stuff like this in our world . . .even IF the layout of the HO scale trains doesnt come with an iPod docking station built in. Here are some pictures . . . fun!
An "L" scale layout they had. These are some pretty big trains--usually reserved for putting outside, in fact. Unless you have a HUGE basement. You cant really see it, but this locomotive blew "wood smoke" out of its smoke stack
Click on this for a larger view, but this model train club's layout replicated a Maine logging camp. Awesome: two of my favorite things are firewood and trains. The detail that goes into the layouts is impressive. I think I'd just enjoy all the detail stuff, since when I was a little kid I used to sit down in the basement and play for hours making "Lincoln Log" towns
Amanda and Jonathan at the train show. See the big stomach?? And Amanda has quite the round little belly too.)
A view of the train show floor. Lots of people showed up--young and old. Really neat to see people still interested in trains.

Callum/Charlie's nursery, we decided a while ago, is going to have a "train" theme to it. Already his Nannie has bought him all sorts of "Choo Choo Express" things for his room: hamper, rug, curtains, coat hooks, etc. We looked for other stuff today that might fit the theme of the little guy's room. We ended up getting a cool "Sandy River and Rangely Lakes Railroad" sign to hang in the room. Oh, and I got a treat too: a wicked awesome engineers hat! I've always wanted one. There is a picture, but I am not going to post it because I look like the type of person whom I would totally make fun of on this blog. Suffice to say I look like a tourist. I was "that guy" who went to the train show and bought a train hat. Oh well. I look totally hot in it though . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a picture of you with your train hat, your overalls and your gay clogs.

Belle said...

No wonder why you and Uncle Bob get along so well, you both love trains!

Anonymous said...

Were there any tunnels for the trains?

Anonymous said...

Who are you kidding!!! You went to see the little kids!! You pedophile you.

Anonymous said...

You need to start collecting trains for the Bean, George, ortiz (Grand Pops) and Pee Pop (Great Grand Pop) to play with.
You will be too busy changing dippers and cleaning up after the Big Kids.

Anonymous said...

flesh