Sunday, February 24, 2008

Friday Night Club: Revisited

Friday Night Club was what we used to call it when, while in high school, we'd all go out on Friday or Saturday nights, pile into Jay's Bronco II, give him gas money, go get taco bell, and then end up back at Maher's house to watch a movie and talk about how someday we'd all get girlfriends. We sort of have changed since then. Umm.

I am very very blessed to have a terrific group of friends from high school with whom I've kept in touch. Geography may be a physical barrier to our present day hanging out (I'm in Maine, Johnny C is in Nevada) but it does nothing to affect the true essence of the bond we all share. You know you've got good friends when you may not "physically" be with them for years, but, when you finally do get together, you somehow just pick up where you left off last time--its seamless. We have a great time when we get together, often leaving our wives and girlfriends befuddled when, in the course of normal conversation, we make 6 or 7 references to "The Jerky Boys," a Will Ferrel movie, or MTV's old sketch comedy show "The State."

Jen Ponticelli threw Jay (and his good college friend Mike . . .whom we all have grown to accept as one of our own) a 30th surprise birthday party at Coles Tavern in Franklin. So Amanda and I left early Saturday morning to head down to Mass. After our traditional fried oyster lunch with Hank and Babs (and a nice visit at their house after), we went back to my mom's, got ready, and headed over to the party. Here is the birthday boy dancing it up with his son (and my godson) while Jay's mom Anne looks on. I may or may not have consumed several "Blue Moon" ales . . .and I may or may not have answered Anne's question Jared, are you guys driving back to Maine tonight?? with "Well Mrs. Ponticelli . . .I was hoping I'd be staying with you tonight." I'm not sure though. The Greek, Bryan Maher, Nicole and Lennie Johnson. I hadn't seen Lennie since high school . . .he was the only other one there when we got to the bar, and he said hi to me and I didnt even recognize him. He and his lovely wife (and Molli Harris look-a-like) Nicole are also expecting a baby. To the left of Nicole is the newly engaged Mr. Bryan T. Maher--congrats again Bryan!!

I went to kindergarten with most of the guys here--including Tore. Here, Amanda poses with him and his beautiful fiancee Mi Hyuen. Really terrific to catch up with Tore, who is a college professor now, and his soon to be wife. A very charming, engaging, and sincere young lady who definitely has a lot of "Seoul!!" (wah wah wah) In fact they will marry there.
Jay, me, Bryan, and Timmy. Jay is a social studies teacher who makes 5 bajillion dollars since he teaches in Mass. I also got to hang out with some of the other folks on his "team," who were great. I told them about the "real" Jay. They dont like him now. Timmy the Greek is a project manager for Moriarti construction in Boston--he's in charge of some pretty important complex going up right off of Atlantic Ave in Beantown--am I right Tim? Bryan also works in Boston--doing information systems stuff. All I know is he reads this blog on a "live feed" or whatever the heck that is. I dont mean to sound too sentimental, but I really am very proud of all my friends and the success they've found.
I'd love your thoughts on a caption for this picture. Here are a couple:

a. Look Tim! Joanie is walking across the room right now!!
b. NOOO!!! The Patriots didnt lose the superbowl . . .where have I been???
c. I didnt think Louie and Anne were supposed to do that in front of JJ!
d. Tim's reaction to Jay informing him how much it was for a small box . . .of potatoes

We enjoyed a nice breakfast with Mom and Bob this morning before we drove back to Maine. We also opened up some stuff that the Bean's Nannie got him: some "choo choo express" items like hampers, a lamp, wall hooks, etc. Like we mentioned before, his room theme is going to be trains. It is going to be CAA YOOOT!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd go with C.

Thanks again for coming all the way down sout. Yes, Sout.

I really appreciated everything and it was a fantastic evening.

I was still looking for gas money though.

Maher said...

Figured I'd stop lurking now and make more of an effort to physically visit the site so I can leave comments versus just viewing the feed. It's been so long since I logged into Blogger that my profile still said "Captain Redbeard".

I'm not sure about the caption but it looks like somebody just hit the cue ball off the pool table at Timmy and you tried to block it but failed...Scratch.

Anonymous said...

The caption should read "Where's the HAIR???"

knitnzu said...

Hey Amanda... did you know that I can speak a bit of Korean? (almost all related to tae kwon do), but if you want to know how to say please, thank you, and hello, let me know...