Monday, May 26, 2008

The End of the Weekend

Wow, this was a jam packed weekend . . .you should all definitely check out the Favry's blog (which is a link off of this one) for some better pictures (and some in depth description) of what exactly transpired this weekend. From canoe paddles to bike rides to delicious food to singing songs to watching movies to going to cookouts, this weekend had it all . . .and I am exhausted and NOT looking forward to going back to grade 50 term papers tomorrow (especially since each one takes about 40 minutes to correct, and I have to get them graded by Friday). Let's hope Ms. Amanda doesnt go into labor tomorrow or Wednesday, huh?

Yesterday, on our way to Agway, we took Kristin and Anthony over to Fort Halifax park in Winslow, as Anthony was in a very "photographic" mood--taking pictures of all the great gardens and flowers that abound our area. I thought Halifax would be enjoyable, since it overlooks the Kennebec River, and I was sure he'd get some great photos. He took this one of Amanda and I, and I have to say that this is probably my favorite picture that exists of the two of us . . .
In between Agway and our paddle, we stopped back at the house so the girls could begin their movie, and so the guys could get everything we needed for the river. Below, the kids sit like good little boys and girls while Uncle Jared gives them some turkey breast from Amanda's left over club sandwich from Governor's . . . As a side note, the animals are SO GOOD together now . . .not only do they coexist, but also they get along quite well, and they even takes naps together. Rewind two or three years ago, and Thomas was constantly swatting at Chelsea. Both of them have mellowed out, and they are good little cousins. . . .

Mel and Jon came by last night and we went for a walk along the same rail trail Twon and I biked. Then Jon and Mel got some pizza, and I built a fire out in the firepit out back. For the remainder of the night, we sat around the pit, taking in the flames, smoke, and sparks. Once again, this fire was "brought to you" by our old breezeway, as I am still burning the old floor--it has paint on it, and I dont dare put it in the woodstove.

This morning I cut the grass, did some edging, helped Amanda pull weeds (even in her 9th month, she is still doing yardwork), and had a two minute visit with the Pelottes, as they dropped by en route to Strong, Maine for a BBQ. They dropped by to give Amanda and I our birthday presents! I got "I Am Legend" on DVD, and Amanda got a hummingbird feeder. Awesome.

Then, I went for a bike ride, discovering some beautiful back country roads off the campus of Colby College. I did about 12 miles or so, and I am only mentioning the distance because I really REALLY am trying to get in shape so, when I pick up my road bike this week, I can start doing much longer rides--and eventually the "Trek Across Maine" and the "Beach to Beacon" bike tours next year . . .which are both for great causes involving lung diseases and cancer.

Grandpop failed to tell us that he was marching in the Oakland Memorial Day Parade this morning, otherwise we would have gone to see him. We did, however, go over for a little Memorial Day Picnic, enjoying Philadelphia style "pork roll" sandwiches, as well as some BBQ chicken, baked beans, salad, and corn.

Starting tomorrow, I am going to guess it could be LITERALLY any day until our son arrives--Amanda is starting to feel a lot of pressure and weird sensations. On a personal note (isnt this whole blog personal notes??) I am very emotionally "on edge" lately as I prepare for my new role as a father. I have no qualms admitting how, as I type this, my eyes are welling up with tears at the process of having my life take on a completely different meaning in a couple of days. Here at goldsmith5.com, its all about honesty . . .haha. Obviously, I see Amanda, in her pregnant glory, on a daily basis. But I think that somehow I become desensitized to the fact that, beneath the basketball shaped stomach that I rub each day, there really is a physical "person" who, although I cannot see him, is nonetheless INCHES away. That completely gets me . . .its like I forget this sometimes. I'm a man of words (sometimes . . .no MOST of the time too many) but, here at 9:23 on Monday night, I just can't think of anything else to say to describe the feeling--the energy, the anticipation, and the raw emotion--that lives in 35 Military Ave at this moment . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Garner said...

Your weekend sounds fantastic - I'm glad you both had so much fun! Mine was busy, too - I can hardly wait for summer to get here! Hope we can get together soon...

Anonymous said...

wild!

Anonymous said...

why did someone delete their own comment? weird . . .

Anonymous said...

I miss you Thomas, Ill see you soon. BFF 4-eva

Anonymous said...

Oh hi.We had a fun weekend too, it was very jam packed!
I hope you are enjoying your new napkin holder, wall hanging, and metlife snoopy.

I talked to Dvonne last night, he is going to try and make it to the hospital as soon as you call him to let him know you are in labor.

Anonymous said...

Wow the only thing missing from your perfect weekend were the New Jerseyians!

Amanda is very good at pulling weeds as she had lot's of practice when she spent a summer with us. Steve cee kept her pretty busy pulling weeds. Both Amanda and I are pro's at it I must say.

We got our deck and pool ready this weekend for your visit. Emma can't wait to show you how she can now swim without swimies or a life preserver and she can even swim in the deep end! She want's to know if you'll play crab with her again Jared?

Have fun grading papers!

Anonymous said...

hey - just curious - your blog came up due to the reference to the "beach to beacon," which is a 10K road race in maine (beach2beacon.org) - is there a bike race that also calls itself the beach to beacon, or was that a typo in the blog - thanks. beryl@wolfepr.com.