Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Meanderings 31: a few brief thoughts . . .

Oh hi. There have been lots of recent acquisitions in the Goldsmith household, and I will try to post pictures of them soon: I picked up my new bike today, Amanda and I picked up the baby's new bureau/changing table in Portland, and I am going to pick up the new BBQ grill at Agway tomorrow. Amanda is feeling well today . . it seems as if the little guy has "moved up" a bit (he was VERY VERY VERY low and putting a lot of pressure on mumma's pubic bone, which kept her from being able to walk up stairs, sit down, etc. Okay, here are some of my pointless thoughts of the day:

1. Did you ever notice how when you are in any type of business getting personal, face to face, real human customer service, and the phone of the said business rings, you immediately become "second most important" to the idiot on the phone who was too lazy to drive into the business like you did? Do you mind this? I do, and to me, it is "technological cutting." I wouldnt just walk into a store and then cut right in front of the person who is getting waited on, and I certainly wouldnt expect the clerk to reciprocate my rudeness and wait on me. So why is it okay for people to "cut" over the phone? When we moved into our piece of crap apartment when we first moved to Maine, and we had to get a UHaul, I counted the number of times the pasty fat guy behind the desk answered the phone and interrupted my needs: 8 times. He had a half eaten jelly stick on a napkin on the dirty counter, and I remember him getting really mad at the phone because he hadnt even had the time to "eat his breakfast." Poor thing.


2. I should do a future post about the worst jobs one could have, but one that I think really takes the cake (speaking of which) is to work at U-Haul. This job would suck. Think about it: all you do is deal with unhappy, tired, stressed out people who are moving. Is anyone who NEEDS a U-Haul ever in a good mood? I would wager no; renting one of those trucks necessitates a good deal of work and aggravation on the part of the renter, and who is happy about that? Who ENJOYS moving? Even if you are happy about where you are going, the process still sucks. And at the end of the day, do you feel "good" about yourself if you work at U-Haul? Have you made a difference? I feel bad for the people who work there.

3. Twizzlers definitely has the corner of the market on licorice. Think about it: Who else makes licorice that is sold in conventional stores? True, "Panda" makes black licorice in a box, but that is usually sold in health food stores and sections. Why isnt an anti-trust suit brought against the Twizzler corporation? They can do whatever they want, licoricely speaking . . .kind of scary

4. I dont think Einstein would be as revered as one of the smartest people ever to live if he had a name other than Einstein like "Phefferberg," "Jones," or "Klauss." I would wager that 80 to 83 % of his popularity stems from the fact that he has a catchy name that rhymes with itself and lends itself well to teasing other people with: "hey Einstein, arent you going to take the gun off safety first, idiot??" And such and such. True, he was smart, but I wonder if there was a smarter dude with a name like Alex Lixacrotch or something who never really got his due . . . because of his less than fun name . ..

5. Here's a thought: Why are they TV "channels" and Radio "stations?" What is the difference between at station and a channel? A station has more of a "place" feel to it. You can "go" to a station. But you can't "go" to a channel . . .


**For all those in the area/interested, come check out "J.S. and the Nefarious Henchmen" (my side-project band) this Friday at the WHS auditorium at 6:30. I'll be playing drums on some numbers! I'm gonna get those octogonal synthesizer drums and crap . . .

5 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Lixacrotch? Channels vs. stations? Brilliant posting, as always. I laughed out loudly as I read - thanks for the humor!

Amanda - glad to hear the baby is easing up on the pressure a bit. Bet that's just his way of saying, "Hey, I'm getting ready to come out!" We'd love to get together soon, especially after hearing about Jared's new grill. Maybe tomorrow night, as I know you have orchestra tonight? Chris is also out of work at 5pm on Friday, so that might be a possibility provided you're not "otherwise engaged." :)

Anonymous said...

Jared and I were talking about using the new grill on Thursday and having you and Chris come over... let's talk more about that. Orchestra is over for the season, so we are also free tonight.

Friday night is the concert at the junior high (Jared & Dave's band). Are you guys going to go? Maybe we could get ice cream after???

Anonymous said...

Am I invited for ice cream?

Anonymous said...

How about a nice rack of barequed ribs and marinated sirloin tips?

Michelle Garner said...

Chris and I think that sounds like a great idea! We'll be there Friday night - wanna all sit together? Is Jared going to be singing or is this just a fun thing to do with faculty and students?