Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Before the World Was Made"

I'm a big fan of Van Morrison, and he has this terrific song called "Before the World Was Made." As an English major, I'm always analyzing the crap out of everything, interpreting it based on how I see it fits into my life. There's a line in the song that reads how "I just want to see your face....before the world was made." To me, that line speaks of remembering (and honoring) the past, especially in the midst of all the craziness of everyday life. It seems as though, each day, part of our individual world's are "made" anew; we become enmeshed in relationships, responsibilities, problems, and celebrations--but sometimes its good to just think back to what life was like before these "worlds" are made.

Next week, I'll being my college essay writing unit with my seniors, something I do each year to prepare them for the challenges of applying to their respective schools. I often start with an admonishment to them--I tell them how their family and friends are constantly going to ask them "where are you going??" and "what are you going to do??" But, I tell them, its important to ask yourself, often: Where have I been? Callum is undoubtedly the best thing to ever happen to Amanda and I, and its no surprise that its hard to imagine life without him--I often wonder what the hell I did with all the free time I had before he came along (not that I'm complaining, because I love every minute). But, with the advent of our "world" being made anew, I think we've (or at least "I" have anyway) forgotten just what a past year or so its been--its been absolutely nuts, actually. So, for tonight's blog, I thought I'd look through some older pictures--from before the world was made.

We should all do that sometimes.

Jane and Michelle: Two of my English colleagues. Jane spent a year at Oxford, and then came back to deliver her baby less than 24 hours before Callum was born. We were RIGHT across the hall from each other in the hospital. Michelle and Chris are tying the knot in November, and Amanda and I are both in the wedding. And, for an added bonus, click on her blog link to see what else she is up to....

This picture was taken LONG before any of us even thought about kids--and before Michelle was even engaged to Chris....


The past year has been a year of tragic loss for Amanda and I. Nana Courtney (below) passed away a little more than a year ago. This was the final time Amanda and I saw her before she died. I am sure the Alzheimer's had something to do with it, but I think she thought I was Grizzly Adams....


And our beloved Thomas, who passed away two weeks ago tomorrow. It still breaks my heart to look at pictures of him--and even think about him for that matter. I had the dubious task of going to pick up his ashes yesterday at the vet's. I just couldnt believe that my little buddy was sitting right beside me in the car--only this time in a small tin in a paper bag.
Today is our good friend Brian Smith's birthday! Happy birthday Brian. He is the one on the far right. These days, all of our friends are having kids, changing jobs, moving, etc. Gone are the "salad days" where we could just pick up and "do whatever." Worlds have changed. Worlds have been made. This picture was taken a number of summers ago in the Adirondacks--a place where Brian, now an Episcopal priest in Florida--has a family camp on an island. We just to go there each summer, and it was the most special time of the whole year. We hope, in the VERY near future, to have everyone's schedule coordinate so we can do this again. How often do we let these beautiful traditions slip away? Sarah, if you are reading this: The word "Baxter" comes to mind....
And here is a family shot of the Willards/Walters, taken three Christmases ago--just days before grandmom became sick, leading to tough years of fighting off extended hospital stays, heart attacks, kidney failures, and you name it. Grandmom, as I wrote about a few months ago, passed away in August. But here is a photo from when things were "quiet." Everyone was well. Amanda wasnt pregnant. And there was no presidential election.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, Jared. It brought back a lot of memories for me, some happy and some sad. It's very hard to loose those that you love but it's very good to be able to put things into prospective and also recognize all the good that we have. I hope Thomas, Nana, and Grandmom are all together sharing their memories of us!

Anonymous said...

Great blog Jared, never forget those memories.

Anonymous said...

Eh, I've seen better.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Jared. Thanks for the memories of Grandmom & Thomas P. Grandmom truly was a remarkable woman. I love the picture of Thomas P. Abby and grandmom I'm sure are taking care of him.

On another note how about those Phillies? and please if you or Amanda talk to Brian today please tell him I say "Happy Birthday!".

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Brian. What a great guy. I remember sitting in the hospital waiting room with him and us trying to keep our minds occuppied playing games with Emma. Very nice blog. We sure do miss our loved ones but we have a lot of great memories.
Hi Amanda & Callum.